Feature Request: Bome MIDI Translator Pro Compiler

Pablo

2016-10-19 12:45:56

Hi,

I was thinking it should be a good idea that Bome could have its own compiler.

That way any script could be transformed into a standalone program (Windows, OS X, Linux). The same way you can export a Power Point into a .mov video or .pdf file, or the same way Cinema 4D, Maya, Logic, Protools, etc. render/bounce their projects into standard files.

Why? This way a project could not be modified without the author´s supervision. Authors could create real programs that they could offer to their own customers, creating a new potential market of redesigned features for any input device provided with keystrokes or MIDI. Indirectly, Bome could become into a new standard somehow like Arduino, etc. but easier to learn. Bome could grow up in a new target market which could be huge.

Obviously, the compiler could be also an extra module, with its own extra license and terms and conditions in case authors would sell their own compiled scripts (maybe this feature could have another professional license too).

Think about this file could be shared without having Bome installed yet, but after running it it shows up a message "Powered by Bome MIDI Translator". For sure many people would ask or search what´s the tool to make these kind of customisations.

Here you have a simple example of what I maid these days: I have turned a hands-free page turner into a wireless MIDI sustain pedal. Imagine this simple Bome script could be redistributable.

https://youtu.be/eNvzZYZ92bQ

Thank you for your time.

sjcaldwell

2016-10-19 15:41:07

Are you planning on starting a business writing Bome Scripts and selling pre-canned midi functionality solutions, Pablo?

Pablo

2016-10-19 15:50:01

It´s not my goal actually.

I have made this request because by mistake I ordered a page turner pedalboard thinking it was a sustain/expression one. That was my search in Google and it gave me that product as the first result.

I contacted the AirTurn PED support and they told me that it would be not possible to update the pedalboard to send the MIDI CC64 (sustain) or whatever other MIDI messages. I sent them my solution using Bome, but they haven´t answered yet. They seem not interested on upgrade the pedalboard features.

That´s why I was thinking on that compiler solution, maybe it could help to produce standalone scripts for different needs out of the scope of the Bome´s main purpose. Perhaps many users need solutions like this one but they never buy and learn Bome, the same way happens in other platforms and software solutions.

Regards.

sjcaldwell

2016-10-19 15:52:32

I think it is an excellent idea. Especially if you spend hours and hours developing true value add functionality to a currently limited midi product and want to provide users with no interest in programming true plug and play functionality hence rewarding your efforts.

Pablo

2016-10-19 15:54:04

Exactly!

Sakis

2016-10-19 21:59:29

There is already Bomes Midi Player . :)

https://www.bome.com/products/miditrans ... ensing/oem

You could contact Florian for details.

sjcaldwell

2016-10-20 01:27:14

Well there ya go. Wonder if the encrypted project files work with the Bomebox version?

florian

2016-10-24 13:55:12

Hi, great discussion here!

We used to have a "MIDI Translator Author" edition, where, essentially, you had the opportunity to create distributables of your MT Pro projects. But over the course of a few years only very few people bought the Author edition, so eventually we stopped it and made the MT Player an OEM product. We do encourage people to sell the MT projects, or services around MT! So we usually find a way to accommodate an MT Player for your needs -- in particular, if you want to see your player as a package for a specific solution. The NativeKontrol guys do that (hopefully with success!).
Wonder if the encrypted project files work with the BomeBox version?
No (and it would defeat the purpose). When you get an MT Player license, it'll be a unique one for you only. You get your own signing/encryption key, and any encrypted projects will only work in your player, not in the BomeBox, not in MT Pro, and not in other MT Players. Like that, it's not a problem to sell the project files and give away your MT Player as a free download.

But, I see the point that it makes sense to create encrypted projects which only run in the BomeBox. Maybe as an option in MT Pro. Will think about it.

Thanks,
Florian