CS1x/To Host driver and XP-Help Needed!

dogpole38

2008-03-27 15:53:57

Hi,
I have a problem with connecting my CS1x to my PC, which is running XP. This problem has been enfuriating me for a couple of years now and I have tried almost everything I can think of to get around it!

When the CS1x is connected via the "to Host" cable, and set to PC2 as it should be everything works fine, except if I press the Arppegio button to turn on/off the arpeggio...whichever music software I am using instantly stops receiving midi data.

I have tried using (cut down) versions of logic, cubasis, cubase...you name it, I've tried it- with the same results. If I try running the same set up on an older computer using win 98se,there are no problems with the arppegiator button at all. Which suggests to me that the problem is either with the driver, or some issue with XP? I would stick to the older PC but it just doesnt have the power to keep up with the audio side of things.

Can anyone help to sort this problem out?

BTW. Yamaha's solution? Well, after telling me to talk to microsoft- who told me to contact the makers of the music software- who told me to go to the makers of the computer, who told me to go to Yamaha.....who finally recommended I try not using the Arppegiator!!!!!

florian

2008-03-31 22:33:37

Hi,

I'm not aware of such a problem, but then I've never used the ToHost cable... have you tried connecting via regular MIDI cables?

Regards,
Florian

dogpole38

2008-04-06 12:50:50

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately the present pc does not have a "gameport" but I have tried putting in a soundcard and using the port on that (after disabling the onboard soundcard etc)- It works to a fasion, but it kept throwing stuck midi notes and every so often (5 minutes or so)very high pitched notes making it very hard to put up with.

I also have tried using a USB audio/midi interface- the audio side works fine but again the midi side of things either works ok then suddenly doesnt receive midi at all (and only restarting fixes it), or does but only plays one out of about 10 notes keyed- and then randomly and with about 15seconds delay!

The problem with the CS1x's appregiator button does not occur when connected either way mentioned above, only with the "TO HOST" connection- but unfortunately only the "TO HOST" connection gives me midi that works reasonably!

I have three other midi keyboards and have tried just using those connected via the game port/USB and it still behaves erratically. The problem seems to be with either XP or the pc- it is a dell dimension 1100.

Incidentally, I have tried purposely pressing the appregio button and crashing the software, first midi in stops responding (but midi out works ok)- then either the music software (whichever one I am trying)stops responding or when it is closed down it then stops responding and has to be closed through XP. There is an error thrown up by pressing the button and this says the "message is out of range".

If it helps to narrow things down, the PC had a fresh re-install of XP before the current set up to and the only sofware installed since then is Cubasis VST (a fully legal boxed version), Audacity, the Emagic audio interface drivers, and the Yamaha CBX driver- which is the most up to date I could find.

There is no anti virus software, as the computer is never attached to the internet (anything that does need to be brought in from outside passes through another PC and is scanned thoroughly)- the PC is solely for running music software.

Any advice would be gretly appreciated- it is a real pain in the ****! Especially when in the middle of putting a track together I think "mmm...a bit of appregio would go nicely there- (click) - oh for **** sake, not again!". It has got to the point where I am taping a bottle cap over the button to save accidentally crashing the pc.

florian

2008-04-16 13:17:34

Hi Dogpole,

I'm afraid nobody else on this forum seems to have a solution. It does sound like a nasty problem!

I'd say, it really looks like a problem on Yamaha's side, in particular the "ToHost" driver seems to be crashing whenever you press the arpeggiator button. Maybe you re-try with Yamaha...

Regards,
Florian

ernie

2008-11-26 17:54:10

For whatever this may be worth, dogpole38, I had similar troubles with Roland's serial MIDI driver when upgrading from one Windows PC to the next. My solution at the time was to download serial MIDI drivers from other manufacturers like Alesis, Korg, Yamaha, et al., and maybe even one or two independently written drivers. Then I just tried one after the other until something worked. It's been quite awhile since then, so as to specifics I'm afraid I couldn't recall.

TCT

2012-12-04 12:43:10

i had the same problem and finally figured out that only the kawai driver does the trick:

http://www.kawaius.com/Downloads/softwa ... vwinnt.zip

arpeggio, scenes and midi dumps are working perfectly with this legacy nt driver from 1998.
and by the way, i got it working under windows 7 and 8 (32 bit) with a self created driver mod! :D

hope this was helpful, even if the post is quite outdated.

florian

2013-01-08 10:50:30

nice one! would you share your mods here in the forums?

Btw, a standard USB MIDI adapter (preferably from a known brand name like Edirol) will work fine.

Thanks,
Florian

GaryLooney

2016-03-18 14:20:56

florian wrote:nice one! would you share your mods here in the forums?

Btw, a standard USB MIDI adapter (preferably from a known brand name like Edirol) will work fine.

Thanks,
Florian
Hi Florian,

I started my music adventures with Bome's Mouse Keyboard.
After searching for an answer to problem I find myself at Bome's Website years latter.

This is a long shot, but worth a try!

I have been given a Yamaha MU10 Tone Generator that connects via cable "To Host" (RS-232 Serial Port) and requires a CBX driver.
My PC is an ACER (i7) CPU running Win7 64bit system, it has the RS-232 Serial Port but there is no "Win7 64bit' Compatible driver from Yamaha> :(

I know the best solution is to purchase a "RS-232 Serial to USB adapter cable".
Unfortunately I am in a lot debt and not receiving income, the short of it is things have not been good I have to make do with what I have.

- - - - - - - -

My long shot question is, did you ever get a reply from the above forum member TCT regarding alternative drivers,
Quote: working under windows 7 and 8 (32 bit) with a self created driver mod!

Have you heard of any alternative solutions for "To Host" drivers working with Win7 64bit.

I have done a search of the internet and not found anything so far.
Please let me know if you have heard anything or have any other ideas.

Best Regards,
Gary

florian

2016-03-18 14:57:06

sorry to say, I have not. You MAY have success by using the serial port directly from within MIDI Translator. But I don't know the exact message format Yamaha is using on their ToHost connectors. Chances are it's plain MIDI, and you can use MT's built-in "expose as MIDI port" for the serial port.

let us know!
Florian

florian

2016-03-18 14:58:35

oops, I just realize you're trying to get Mouse Keyboard to work. Anyway, MIDI Translator Pro can act as a MIDI to serial (and back) converter. But it's not for free (you can use the trial version as often as you want, though).

GaryLooney

2016-03-18 17:31:16

florian wrote:sorry to say, I have not. You MAY have success by using the serial port directly from within MIDI Translator. But I don't know the exact message format Yamaha is using on their ToHost connectors. Chances are it's plain MIDI, and you can use MT's built-in "expose as MIDI port" for the serial port.

let us know!
Florian
I am trying to get a Yamaha MU10 Tone Generator with RS-232 Serial Port connection to work.
Also known as "To Host" computer connection found at the rear of PC.

The Drivers were only made for Win98, and are incompatible with Win7 64bit.
The subject of the original poster!

You have lost me regarding the use of Midi Translator, but I am interested to know more.

(Sorry if I was confusing the subject by raising Mouse Keyboard, I just wanted to thank you for the Software. Nothing to do with this question)

Cheers,
Gary

GaryLooney

2016-03-18 18:30:32

Here is the "Yamaha MU10 Tone Generator" Product Manual cut down to fit upload limitation.
and the incompatible To Host "CBX Driver" suitable for Win2000.
Just in case the site gets a visit from someone with solution!

Also, I have downloaded the trial version of MIDI Translator Pro.

If you think MIDI Translator could work I would be happy to hear more.
Let me know if you can offer any guidance, this is all new to me.

Or perhaps you could point me towards some relevant reading.

Regards,
Gary
Yamaha MU10 MANUAL.pdf
(260.27 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
YamahaSerialMidi_cbx200w.part1.rar
(478.52 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
YamahaSerialMidi_cbx200w.part2.rar
(471.93 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

GaryLooney

2016-03-18 18:50:45

CBX Driver Installation and Setup (Windows XP)
CBX Driver Installation WinXP.pdf
(31.37 KiB) Downloaded 449 times

TCT

2016-08-13 16:31:01

Hello again,

just saw the request by GaryLooney and decided to share my little driver mod here.

But probably it won't help you much because it will only work on 32bit windows (7 and 8, 10 not tested yet) and you'll have to enable 16-bit application support. Otherwise the installer won't be executable.

Before installing check out the advance tab of your serial/com port in the hardware manager. Change it to "COM1" if needed even if it reports that it's already in use.
The mod itself is a simple workaround. It uses the setup routine of the roland serial midi driver but installs the kawai driver, so don't be irritated. But be sure to choose port "COM 1" in the kawai driver pop-up. You should have then a new midi device called "GMegaRSNT".

Please understand that I cannot guarantee that this will work on every 32bit system.
Attachments
KAWAI_Serial_MIDI_NT_Driver_Win7_8_32bit.part3.rar
(347.84 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
KAWAI_Serial_MIDI_NT_Driver_Win7_8_32bit.part2.rar
(478.52 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
KAWAI_Serial_MIDI_NT_Driver_Win7_8_32bit.part1.rar
(478.52 KiB) Downloaded 317 times