Using Mouse Keyboard with Cubase SX 3

APOLLO11

2008-02-23 16:56:33

Hello folks,

Apologies if bits and pieces of the info that I ask, has been requested before, but here is my situation,

I've just started music course in Sydney, mainly to get work in CD art and audio mastering work. Unfortunately one of the subjects that has to be completed is the ability to compose a song. I've been able to knock a cheap copy of Cubase SX 3 off from a bankrupt sale, and have just purchased bones Mouse keyboard.

1. I've generated a basic chord midi track in Chordsong. Save it, then closed that program.

2. I then opened the .mid file in Cubase, and now have it successfully playing in the first track.

3. I've now opened the Mouse Keyboard, and that itself works fine. I start playing my second track, as Cubase is recording.

4. upon finishing the second track, I stop cubase from recording, then played it back. The second track from the Mouse Keyboard did not work.

Understanding that this keyboard is a replacement for the physical thing, how can I get Cubase to recognise it,

I've have read as much as I could with the low vision that I've got, and apologise in advance if I've missed something obvious.

5. Have open Device>Device Setup, and saw that the program is pointing to my sound card driver (Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth).

7. Then in Mouse Keyboard I've gone to Midi out, where I have ticked Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

Briefly my system setup is Win XP on a Medion 3.4 Gig Media Centre Computer with 250 GIG hard-drive and 512 MB Memory.

Many thanks
Mark

joesapo

2008-02-24 06:22:33

Where's #6... :D

The problem is that no MIDI data is actually getting into Cubase using your current MIDI routing.

The MIDI ouput of MK is going to the synth built in to your soundcard, rather than a synth hosted by Cubase. You may need to install a virtual MIDI port driver and use it to route the MIDI out from MK to a MIDI channel in Cubase.

Download a virtual MIDI port driver (listed here) and then try again. That should resolve your problem.

Let us know if you need any further help. :D

Joe

APOLLO11

2008-02-24 12:26:03

Thanks for the help, joe, yep, I had no virtual cable. I installed Maple, and it seems to be working now. I went through the instruction with a little to much haist, just missed the step where I had to reboot my computer.

I'm now having problems when recording the tracks in cubase.

My first track is piano,

I'm trying to record the second track as Synth Strings 2, but the second track keeps going back to Piano when in record, (I'll have two piano tracks, rather then oee piano and one synth strings track)

Also, all the recording data falls back to the first beat, as shown below. I've tried drawing the cubase midi tracks as best as I could with hyphens.

NORMAL TRACK

WHAT I"M GETTING:
888888888..............................................................................
888888888888........................................................................

Hope this helps

joesapo

2008-02-25 21:46:48

Not sure if we can help you with this here.

See my comments here: http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2165