any way to convert absolute knob to relative knob?

flipotto

2006-12-27 16:08:18

Hello,

I use Live and am trying to get pan working with the control surface set up.
I am using a tascam tmd1000 mixer that outputs an absolute midi stream

I use mackie control emulation with my bcr2000 no prob and I want the convert the stream from the tmd1k for use with the mackie control emulation.

I am able to get the faders and the mute switch working as expected with MT working great.
The problems occurs with the PAN knob on the tmd1k is absolute midi and the pan message that the mackie control emulation needs is relative.

The pan currently sends B0 0A oo,
I need to translate the pan on tmd1k to send B0 10 01 on ch1 if I turn the knob clockwise and to send B0 10 41 on ch1 if I turn the knob counter clockwise...

Is there a way to do this?
Thanks for any help.

Flip

florian

2007-01-02 17:10:27

Hi Flipotto,

this is possible with the Rules feature in Midi Translator Pro, though it will fail if the knob skips values. A function "repeat outgoing action n times" is needed if the knob skips values if rotated fast.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Controller to Endless Knob: Set up delta value
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI BF 0A pp 
Rules: 
  gd=gl-pp
  gl=pp
Outgoing: MIDI BF 4D gb 

Translator 2: Controller to Endless Knob: Turn Right
Rules: 
  if gd<=0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI B0 10 01 

Translator 3: Controller to Endless Knob: Turn Left
Rules: 
  if gd>=0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI B0 10 41 
The global variable gl is used to store the last value of the knob. In the first translator, the global variable gd is the difference of the last value gl and the current value pp, i.e. the delta value. The second translator is executed if the delta is larger than 0, i.e. the knob was turned clockwise, and the 3rd translator does the same for counter-clockwise turns.

Let me know how this works.
Regards,
Florian

S4racen

2008-11-08 17:34:16

florian wrote:Hi Flipotto,

this is possible with the Rules feature in Midi Translator Pro, though it will fail if the knob skips values. A function "repeat outgoing action n times" is needed if the knob skips values if rotated fast.
I've got the rest working but the behaviour you describe above keeps happening, how do i set up the repaet outgoing function rule?

Cheers
D

florian

2008-11-24 16:40:20

Hi,

repeating an outgoing action is not possible, currently. What you can use instead is to use a timer with 0 delay. Make it a multi-repeat timer, where the number of repetitions is the value (or variable) how many times you want to execute the outgoing action. Give the timer a unique, meaningful name, e.g. "send fader update".

Now you need to create an additional translator with incoming type a Timer of the same name. There, as outgoing action, specify the MIDI message (or the outgoing action) that you want to execute multiple times.

Florian