Key strokes in, not working when Ableton has focus

sphillpo

2013-11-01 05:02:05

I am hoping there is a simple solution to this.

Warning - I have not used Bomes for about 6 years now, so very rusty.

I have created a translator that when a key (#2) is pressed, the outgoing keystrokes are Cntrl C, Arrow down, Control V, Return. This is intended to be used in Ableton (with an APC40), where I will select a clip then duplicate it down one row and trigger it.

The translation works fine when other applications have focus (ie Bomes, or IE, or notepad), but when I have Ableton active, I cannot see the Key in light up when hitting key 2

I do not have key 2 mapped in Ableton.

I then tried changing the input to be a midi key. The input now registers when Ableton is active, but I still do not get the output doing anything.
The activity log looks like this:

IN 0.1: MIDI 90 24 41, pp=0x41
OUT 0.1: Keystroke: Ctrl(C )Down Ctrl(V )Return

If I click on a clip in ableton and then go Ctrl(C )Down Ctrl(V )Return , it is copied to the slot below and activated.

Any tips on what I am doing wrong, or any settings I need to enable in Ableton.

DvlsAdvct

2013-11-02 20:58:04

Hi sphillpo

I think this issue might come down to how Ableton is listening for keystrokes. Instead of putting it in a string try a different translator for each command with timers. It would look something like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Keystroke
Incoming Message: 90 24 41
Rules: None
Outgoing Message: Keystroke Ctrl + C

Translator 2: Keystroke
Outgoing Message: Down 5ms Delay

Translator 3: Keystroke
Outgoing Message: Ctrl + V 10ms Delay

Translator 4: Keystroke
Outgoing Message: Return 15ms Delay
That make sense?
Jared

sphillpo

2013-11-03 00:48:23

Thanks Jared,

Will try this when back at my DAW on Tuesday.

This solution however does not address why the keystroke in is not working. Any ideas on that.

Regards

Steve

DvlsAdvct

2013-11-03 01:29:31

Hi Steve

I think the keystroke is not working due to how Ableton processes commands. If the whole string comes at once Ableton may only be processing the first keystroke and not the rest of them. I am not 100% sure this will solve the problem but it is an alternative that works well for MIDI commands in various DAWs. If it does not work I can dig deeper into the problem. If I have time before Tuesday I will take a look as well and update this thread.

Thanks
J

sphillpo

2013-11-06 10:04:03

Hi,

I tried the suggested delay approach, and now the log shows as follows:

IN 0.1: MIDI 90 24 4B, pp=0x4B
IN 0.2: MIDI 90 24 4B, pp=0x4B
IN 0.3: MIDI 90 24 4B, pp=0x4B
IN 0.4: MIDI 90 24 4B, pp=0x4B
OUT 0.1: Keystroke: Ctrl(C )
OUT 0.2: Keystroke: Down
OUT 0.3: Keystroke: Ctrl(V )
OUT 0.4: Keystroke: Return

But still no copy and pasting of the clip in Ableton.

Is there some sort of set-up, or configuration I need to do in ableton to get this to work? It does not seem to be a Bomes thing, as it works perfectly in other applications, just not when Ableton has focus. Any Ideas???

I would though anyone using Ableton must have got this working.

DvlsAdvct

2013-11-06 16:24:31

Can you attach the project so I can take a look?

sphillpo

2013-11-06 21:32:14

Project attached.

I am thinking it has to be something to do with the APC40 (or possibly Ableton), since this works in other applications (like notepad).

The Copy translator, does not even register an incoming key, the other Copymidi ones register incoming midi and outgoing keys strokes, but with no effect in Ableton. I have ensured I do not have any keys mapped in ableton.

Thanks for helping with this - much appreciated.

Steve
Attachments
LiveSet.bmtp
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-11-06 21:48:31

Hm... I'll take a look in a little bit. If MIDI Translator is sending the keystrokes out then it is probably Ableton that is causing problems. Let me take a look and see what I can figure out.

J

sphillpo

2013-11-07 00:48:02

J,

Thanks for looking into this, but I have worked it out. It's to do with Windows 7 and how I execute the programs.

I initially tried removing the APC from the equation by switching it off...still no luck. Then, I had a thought about access rights. I run Ableton as Administrator, and was running Bomes MT normally. I tried running Bomes MT as Administrator too, and it works!!

Both the midi key executed command and the keystroke (which has the non- time-delayed action, so it looks like I do not need the 4 translators after all which is good).

Hopefully, this can help others who might have the same issue.

btw - thanks for looking into this, I always appreciate that people take the time to try help out - cheers

DvlsAdvct

2013-11-07 03:12:28

Oh not a problem at all. :) Let us know if you have any other issues.

Thanks
J