..a two letter variable being inserted into..

achida

2013-09-30 12:04:48

Hello everybody,
I'm the NEWBIEST:
Friday I started to read the manual that helped me a lot over the weekend to change some parameters of my apc 40 (great experience!)...
I wrote just a few lines but effective for my set up and I would like to enter some roles using variables, but I can not figure out if the variables have a meaning or an order of use, for example, the difference between "pp" and "ww".."oo" furthermore as written in the manual "You may notice a two letter variable being inserted into your MIDI message " this does not happen!
maybe because I work on osx? So i started to replace pairs of numbers with the variables without knowing the meaning..
sometimes it works and sometimes not.
Thank you so much for some explanation.
A.

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-30 16:19:55

Hi achida

There are two different kinds of variables: global and local. The local variables are designated with the letters oo, pp, qq, rr, ss, tt, uu, vv, ww, xx. Global variables are designated with g0, g1, g2, g3...g9, ga, gb, gc.... gz, also using the letter h, i, j, k, l, m, n, yy, zz.

By default in MT, if you select the Learn box in a translator and turn a knob, the last byte of data will become pp. As a quick breakdown, MIDI is made up of three bytes of data. The first is the note type and channel (90) the second is the note or cc value (30) and the last is the velocity or position (1F). So in this example, the message our controller would send is a note (9) on channel 1 (0), is middle C (30) and sent at a velocity of 15 (1F). Since you would not want to create a translator for every velocity of a note to get it to send correctly, MT will replace that last byte with a pp so it can translate the whole note, regardless of how hard you press the key. This can go another step forward, and you can translate all notes across an entire channel. So, for example, if you want all notes on your keyboard to always be sent at the same velocity, you can set something like 90 oo pp. This would mean that all notes (9) on channel 1 (0) will pass through the translator (oo). In the outgoing message you could simply put 90 oo 7F, and this will take in all of your notes and output them all at full velocity.

On the APC40, the problem is that when you release the button it will send a Note Off message, which is an 80, so the pp will not appear. If you turn a knob, however, you should see that last byte change to a pp variable.

Make sense?
J

achida

2013-09-30 17:28:15

Thank you very much for the response,
but as you write:
"By default in MT, if you select the Learn box in a translator and turn a knob, the last byte of data will become pp".
Not for me. Until now I select the learn box and i have exactly the midi in controller byte and after i substitute the last byte with the variables "pp" and not by default as you say (??) and the other question is whether there is an order to select the variables:Why "pp" and not "oo"? If There is an order between the variables should have first "oo" and then "pp"?
Until now the note off has not given me any problems, but if necessary I will go deeper into the problem ..
Thank you very very much and expect to read more valuable advice
I will be back at home in 2 hours to study more midi bome!
ciao
Ac.

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-30 20:18:20

Hi again

When you are in front of MT again give it a shot. Hit the Learn checkbox and just turn a knob. The last byte should become pp automatically. This may not work for a button, though.

the local variable you use doesn't matter, as long as they do not repeat in a single translator (90 pp pp will cause problems). I think that pp was the default in the beginning because there were less available variables, but it doesn't matter what you use, it's just what automatically comes up.

The only way variables work, though, is if they are connected. So, if your incoming signal is 90 00 pp and your outgoing signal is 90 00 qq then it won't work. They would both need to be pp.

But regardless, I'll be around today packing for my move, so let me know if you need more advice. :)

Thanks
J

achida

2013-09-30 21:08:19

thanks again J!
Now is much more clear the use of local variables.

However, the capture midi does not give me any line midi when i capture the signal.
Maybe because I'm using a pro trial version?
I send you a pic for INTED.
When I rotate the knob
I can see all the bytes with the capture midi cheked but it remains empty, then I select a string that appears in the box below and after i can chance byte with variables, (i hope you understand my english.. :roll: )
I do not think this is normal ..
Thank you!!
A.
Attachments
capture mid.pdf
i show the box cheked with bite in this pdf
(75.25 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-30 21:12:13

Hm... I've never seen that. It shouldn't matter whether or not you're on a mac or pc, though. Can you take a screen shot of what it looks like before you select the individual value?

achida

2013-09-30 21:35:36

have a look please :?
tnx J
Attachments
capture midi.pdf
the screen.
(121.13 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-30 22:18:33

Huh, that's weird. Never seen that before. I'll alert Florian to this thread so he can see it.

Also, if you type in that whole command, or select any of the entries in the line, and replace the last two numbers with pp it will allow that translator to catch any command from the knob whenever you turn it.

Does that make sense?

achida

2013-09-30 23:23:46

Works perfect,
but by default is empty and i have just select a line on 127..
and for a note on/off, just ones (90 oo pp) for on
i cant grab a video but i can try to send you about this..
In this pic I'm turning a knob
just before i edited a "note on/off and translated into program change message
when I want to clean the panel I have just to close it.
:shock:
thank you anyway
ach.
Attachments
capture midi 2.pdf
(143.23 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-10-02 17:41:23

I spoke to Florian and it seems he changed the way this works without telling me. For now it's working as intended, but you can just select a message and type in the pp manually. Does that make sense?

Thanks
J

achida

2013-10-02 19:10:00

yes, it is.
thank you very much.
i trust in your help for the future..
Cheers J!
Ach.