APC to Traktor / Traktor to APC

soulpixel

2013-09-16 14:40:51

Hi I am trying to control Traktor with the APC40 the following way.
Mt catches midi from APC and sends it to Traktor.
Traktor sends back midi and translates it to MT.
As an example:
translator1: I press a button on the APC and I catch a midi note and send it to Traktor. Traktor then sends a different note to MT
translator2: Only the note sent by Traktor needs to be caught.

Right no no matter what the midi source is set be in the translator midiIN and no matter what I do with the midi thru setup I always have button 2 intercepting messages coming from the APC.
Any help is welcome,
thanks.

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-16 15:03:23

Hi soulpixel

This should definitely be doable. :)

You need to make sure your ports are set up correctly in the presets and translators. Each translator sends and receives on the Preset Default Port when it is created, and the Preset uses the Project Default Ports unless told otherwise. So what I would do is create a preset for the APC40 to Traktor and a preset for Traktor to the APC40. Right click on each of these presets and set the correct ports (APCtoTraktor would be Default Incoming Port -> APC40 and the Default Outgoing Port would be whatever Virtual Port you set to send to Traktor as in Bome Virtual MIDI Port 1)

And now any translator you create, as long as it is set in the Preset, should send to the correct place.

Let me know if you need any more help
J

soulpixel

2013-09-16 17:21:25

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
Would this overide whatever settings I have in the midi thru routing panel ?
I ask because I ve tried to set the ins and out on a translator level, will try later tonight setting the ins and outs on preset level.
Thanks

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-16 17:39:14

It should override the MIDI thru settings in the router.

Once you're in front of MT tell me how your Ports are set up. If you have MIDI Ports set on a translator level that should take precedent over all other routing settings.

soulpixel

2013-09-16 17:53:44

I will need to get back to this later on,

soulpixel

2013-09-16 21:08:25

RE-installed Bome.
Cut the amount of port available:

Tried setting the default port on preset level, as suggested, I still get messages coming from the apc.

I get messages from the APC whenever I touch a button fader encoder etc..
Even if the preset that has the APC40 as default is unchecked

If you were to do this how would your routing panel look like ?
I am doing something obviously wrong, too obvious for me to see :-(
Thoughts ?
Thanks

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-17 15:04:32

I just tested this on my computer. If you activate any ports and use them, whether or not they are even used in your project, MT will receive MIDI on those ports. If all you are seeing is the MIDI In light activating but not the Translating or MIDI Out then MT is working as expected. All it is doing is SEEING that there is MIDI, but it isn't doing anything with it.

As far as my MIDI routing, I rarely use the MIDI Router for my projects. I do so much heavy translation of signals that everything gets redefined in my presets and translators and I have no need for the router.

soulpixel

2013-09-17 16:00:36

I understand, the thing is that I get those messages in the capture midi window.
So if I send msg A to traktor and say that I want to receive B in return, I am receiving both A and B because the emitted msg from APC is always being caught.
Are you saying that I can't exclude catching the emited msg in a preset/translator where I only want to catch retrieved msg's from a different source.
Still a bit confused :-/

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-17 22:53:08

Oh, okay, I see what's going on. Can you show me the way your routing is set up for each translator?

It sounds like you have multiple ports set as Default ports, and that's where issues are coming in. In fact, show me the log window as well for when this is happening. If you want we can schedule a Skype call so I can see in real time what's going on.

Thanks
J