Question about Midi Controller versus DAW triggers in MT

imdavida

2013-09-03 17:13:35

I have a setup where I am using a midi keyboard through Sonar X1 into Computer A. Then signal sent via ethernet cable to Computer B where MT is loaded. When I play a note (A6) on the keyboard, everything is translated correctly by MT and generates a keystroke (N). Great! Except when I record the midi note into Sonar, changing nothing else, and then send the note via a Sonor midi track, the keystroke does not trigger. The midi in lights up in MT, just doesn't translate into a keystroke. Any ideas?

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-03 20:22:05

Hi imdavida

When you are playing the MIDI note via a track, does the track send through a different MIDI port than the passthrough from the keyboard?

imdavida

2013-09-03 22:20:15

Yes. The note from the track in Sonar transmits through a software product, MidiOverLan/CPIII by Musiclab. It is transmitted via a LAN (ethernet cable ) to the second computer where MOL/CPIII receives it and MT receives it from there. What I've discovered is happening is that, when I play a note from the midi kybd into Sonar, it translates correctly by MT. However, when I record that same note and transmit it, MT captures it as CC #16. Have no idea why

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-03 23:34:48

And if you type the original note manually (don't "Learn" the signal) does it still not work?

imdavida

2013-09-03 23:45:36

By "type the note manually", I think you mean, if I play the note from the midi keyboard does it work? Yes. But when I record the note, and then play the recorded note, it doesn't translate. I see where MT sees incoming midi, it just doesn't translate because it's a controller message instead of an on/off note message.

DvlsAdvct

2013-09-04 14:23:36

I'm trying to do some research into how Sonar handles MIDI output, but I can't seem to find any information. My guess is there's something in your Sonar track which is sending that rogue CC, and it just needs to be told which note to play. If you put CC16 into that incoming message I'm sure MT will receive and trigger. Unfortunately I don't have a version of Sonar available to test, but I'm almost 100% positive it should just be a simple setting or command.

Sorry
J