2 APC40's + Resolume 4 Without Syncing

Digital Gigalow

2013-06-27 19:47:31

I am looking for the easiest way to use 2 APC40's with Resolume 4. I tried to rename the Controller in OSX AudioMidi options. Resolume recognizes both, but both sending the same midi data which syncs them. I map a button on one, and the other registers the same.

Is there an easy way to change the name of the controller, or will I have to change ALL the midi cc's?

Thank You,

The Digital Gigalow

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-01 17:47:44

Hi Digital Gigalow

Using MIDI Translator Pro you can set a rule that would increase the channel of every command to 1 channel up. I'm not sure if you can do this natively in the APC40, though.

If you change the name of the controller using OSC AudioMIDI does Resolume see the APC40's separately?

Thanks
Jared

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-02 03:27:01

THANK YOU so much for the reply. Yes, changing the name is OSX Audio Midi lets Resolume 4 recognize both APC40's. The ONLY problem is that when mapping a control, registers on both APC40's. So both APC40's are still sending and receiving the same CC messages. the picture is just to show that both are registered. I know that the in and out are not checked, but when both are checked, the are synced.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 9.21.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 9.21.35 PM.png (73.49 KiB) Viewed 41522 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-02 14:29:38

With MIDI Translator Pro you can easily do this using rules.

You would run the first APC into Resolume as normal. The second APC would get connected to MIDI Translator instead, and you would set two translators for it:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Channel Modify Up
Incoming signal: pp qq rr (Default to APC)
Rules: pp=pp+1
Outgoing Signal: pp qq rr (Default to Bome Virtual Port 1)

Translator 2: Channel Modify Down
Incoming signal: pp qq rr (Default to Bome Virtual Port 1)
Rules: pp=pp-1
Outgoing Signal: pp qq rr (Default to APC)
This should set the outgoing channel up one for every signal coming from the second APC. Set the default input port as the second APC and the output port as the Bome Virtual Out. Connect the Bome Virtual Out to Resolume, and set that as the Output for the controller as well

This way when the signal returns through Bome it is set to the correct channel for the APC to read the messages correct. Make sense?

Thanks
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-02 17:48:34

I understand the code and it makes sense, now I just need to go through the tutorials to set it up. I got the manual so I will follow the directions.

Thank you every much.

The Digital Gigalow

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-03 07:22:07

OK, again , thank you for the help. I followed the manual and I am having some problems. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

i uploaded a saved file of where I am at. Can someone ne kind enough to ;et me what is wrong.

Thank You
Attachments
TEST.bmtp
(644 Bytes) Downloaded 404 times

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-05 02:25:07

I was able to set this up, but this not the solution, because the APC40 used different channels for the midi signals.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-05 07:12:03

Hello Again. I have figured out that I have to reprogram the midi signals for one of the APC40s, so I am going to make a file reprograming the both since the signals are all over the place when it comes to keys and channels. So here is what I got:

When I map a button in Resolume, Resolume recognizes the button as, 1/F-1. Now that I am reprograming both controllers, I want to change the code from 1/F-1 to 1/C-5, how would I do this?

ThanK You,

DG

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-06 07:12:11

UPDATE!!!!! I just went through ALL the midi signals and found out something that everyone should know. The APC40 uses 8 channels to map the whole controller. This is GREAT if you want to use 2 APC40s to control one app.

So if you want a second APC40, using the code in this thread but change the rule to +8 should give you the second APC40 you want. I will test and get back soon.

PLUR,
Peace, Love, Unity, Respect,

DG

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-06 08:06:12

UPDATE 2!!!! I am able to map both APC40s.

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-06 21:19:56

Hi Digital Gigalow

Sorry for not responding. I was on vacation and the house's wifi went down.

Glad to hear you were able to get it moving. I was unaware that it covered 8 channels across the controller.

Thanks
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-06 22:13:46

no problem. I am Thankful for the Help and glad to share.

I do have a question. I found and lost a web link that explained the pp qq rr tech. I wanted to change the led colors on some of my buttons. Example: Green for Go and red for Stop.

can someone explains this for me.

Thank You.

DG

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-08 03:17:53

Does Resolume send MIDI back to MIDI translator? So it you would set a MIDI Output port in Resolume to send to MIDI Translator.

That make sense?

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-08 03:57:41

Well, in the midi settings, you have 2 bode, in, out and sync. I do have a more pressing issue as of now. There is something wrong with midi channel 2. for some reason when I map column 2 in the clip launch section on 1 APC40, the other, which is going through bomes with the code pp=pp+8 still registers channel 2. so basically column 2 is channel 2 and on both apc40s they are synced. I do not know if this is bomes, resolume or the controller.

I have uploaded a test file for you to play with. also there is a pic of the button channel and key map for the APC40, th other picture is to show that the channel is changed. I think I will need to change the key and keep the channel as 2.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 9.56.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 9.56.11 PM.png (47.26 KiB) Viewed 41462 times
DUAL APC40s.bmtp
(783 Bytes) Downloaded 376 times
Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 9.48.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 9.48.20 PM.png (30.48 KiB) Viewed 41462 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-08 12:51:17

Remove the pp=pp-8 from the second translator, that is definitely going to be giving you issues.

Let me know if that helps.
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-09 06:00:23

I tried that, yet it did not work. I honestly think that the best way to fix this issue is to keep the channel and change the key.
same issue.

When I do get this working, I will post a patch on the forum.

TY,

DG

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-09 15:51:23

You could also try increasing the commands by two octaves (+24). That should give you the breathing room.

Also, if you're not doing anything crazy complicated, try replacing the local variables (pp qq rr) with global (g0, g1, g2) and see if that helps.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-10 00:56:19

(g0, g1, g2) did not work. Go up octaves will not work because channel 1 is used for the rest of the controller.

So I switched the controllers around in bome and Resolume and they now work, although the LEDs on the the knobs are still synced. (Knobs are not)

I am going to try to add an APC40 in the mix so I can map a couple of LED colors, red=off and green=on.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-11 22:08:49

What is up. now that I have both APC40s working with just one running through bome, I want to add a second APC40 into the mix so that both APC40s are running through Bome Midi Translator. I have tried to do this, yet the I am not getting what I want. the controllers are now synced and not working like before when one APC40 was running through Bome.

I can keep it with one APC40 Running through Bome, but that will limit me to one APC40 that I can change the LED colors on. See I want the track select buttons to register different colors for different actions.

Can someone please look at this file and see what might be wrong.

TY,

DG
Attachments
DUAL APC40s2.bmtp
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 351 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-11 22:56:23

In the APC40-1 preset, you need to reverse the pp rule in the APC40 IN translator.

That needs to be pp=pp-8. Let me know if that helps.

If you want to be able to control the LED response from Resolume then we need to get much more in depth for developing the controller, unless Resolume outputs specific messages per output. If Resolume can handle the MIDI Output data then we can use that. If not then we are going to need to build a more complicated MIDI patch in Bome.

Thanks
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-12 00:22:11

i tried what you posted, yet it did not work.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.20.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.20.49 PM.png (136.44 KiB) Viewed 41403 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-12 00:31:02

Do me a favor and use the log window to show me what is happening when you press commands.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-12 00:37:29

I pushed the far upper left button on both controllers
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.36.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.36.16 PM.png (34.88 KiB) Viewed 41402 times

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-12 01:33:59

i believe there is mdid feedback in resolume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38V-pJhOYg

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-12 03:20:36

Oh, you see how as you move the fader you are seeing 0.0 0.0 0.0 for every line, then 1.0? That means that MIDI is not coming back for 0.1 and 1.1 to go off (those are Translator references. The first preset is 0 and the first translator is 0).

And the video states that he is using "fake" MIDI feedback, so I'm pretty sure he's using MIDI Translator to create MIDI feedback. I don't have Resolume so I can't test yet but I'm going to try and find a way to get my hands on it.

Regardless, we can fake all of the MIDI feedback through MT but it's going to be a lot of work. We can do it together, though, and I can walk you through everything if you're interested.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-12 06:27:02

the log is showing the top left button on both apc40's. they are reading the same signal.

resolume can be download from http://www.resolume.com. it is a trial version with audio and video watermark is free. turn your audio off

Yes I am interested in your help.

THANK YOU!!!!

DG

P.S. LEARN ME SOMETHING!!! LMAO!!!

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-15 00:34:54

First step is to plan out how you want your LEDs to respond, in detail. That plan is going to dictate how many global variables we need, and how to put together the various translators and presets we will need. So put that together and maybe throw together a PDF or something to attach so we can begin working.

J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-15 01:39:18

Hello. I just went through the midi signals in Resolume. The biggest thing that EVERYONE is asking for is the ability to see what video clips are playing on the screen and controller. So to accomplish this I would like to see the clip launch section to be RED when the clip is not playing and GREEN when a clip is playing. that is the basic setup, (ALL RED ON LAUNCH) The more advanced is to have them set up like they are in ableton live, where ever there is a clip, the button color is RED. this will allow us to see where the clips are placed in Resolume and on the APC40, then when you launch the clip, the button turns GREEN.

the last thing is the LED lights on the knobs. They react to the position in Resolume, but they do not fill, they react one LED light one at a time.

the rest of the controller reacts fine.

Thank You

DG

P.S. I would would like to make 2 Bome Files, 1 for 1 APC40 and 1 for 2 APC40s.
Attachments
BOME.png
BOME.png (370.25 KiB) Viewed 41285 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-15 17:08:43

The file system is fine. We COULD compress them into one file as well, but that might be a little too complex.

Here's the one issue we are going to run into: for this to work you are going to need to work exclusively with the APC40 to control resolume, and if the MIDI output from Resolume does not allow, you will not be able to use the application at all, or the MIDI feedback will not line up with what's happening.

I'll dig up the MIDI spec for the APC40 for the commands to send so the knobs update properly. But realistically this shouldn't be that difficult. :) If you find the spec, though, try and find the Sysex commands to update the knobs. :)

Thanks
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-15 21:03:09

When you say I will have to use the APC40 to control resolume Exclusively, I have a question. Are you saying that I will only be able to use 1 or 2 APC40's with Resolume and no other programs? what about the Python Remote Script for Ableton Live? I guess what I am asking is, will I be able to use BOME for Resolume and a Python Remote Script for Ableton Live at the same time?

I will look for the Knob info you asked for.

Thank You,

DG

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-15 21:12:35

What I mean is if you use your mouse or keyboard, or any other application, to control Resolume, then your LED feedback will be off. If you're using a Python script to control Ableton then you'll be fine. There's a VERY long thread on this site detailing this same sort of thing, so that might have a ton of resources for you as well.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-15 23:04:01

OK!!! I understand now. I do NOT want to use the keyboard or mouse to control Resolume. I want to ONLY use 1 or 2 APC40s.

I have some more info though. sometimes I am hired do audio and video, and sometimes I am hired to do just video. SO, I was thinking of what I will want. the list below is what options I would like to see:

1. I would like to see a bome file that combines 2 APC40's. This file will just be a BASIC combination of 2 APC40's with NO LED Color mapping, just linked and not synced with the knob LED reaction. EXPLANATION: I would use this file when running both Ableton Live and Resolume. See the Python Script is written so that the LEDs light up in correspondence with where the clips are dropped and when a clip is triggered, the LED turns GREEN. In Turn, I would be able to drop audio and video into the corresponding boxes so that the controller shows both on the Controller.

2. I will be writing in my Contract that I would like 2 APC40's Provided by the venue. To be Prepared for ANY issues, I would like to see another bome file with for just one APC40 with the Clip Launch LEDs RED when a video Clip is dropped in Resolume so that the controller recognizes the button has a clip linked to. when the button is pushed, it turns GREEN and the clip runs.

3. This Bome file I would like to see the same as the second Bome File, but with 2 APC40's. IF it can be done in one file, that would be GREAT also.

TY,

DG

P.S. I have 2 APC40's in front of me right now to start this project.

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-15 23:53:09

So for the first file type, you will have one apc40 communicating with Ableton and the other communicating with Resolume?

The second method will not be difficult. We can also set it so that only one button in each column can be green at a time, and a single button will turn all the clips red, like a track stop button.

Let's keep it at two files for now. Setting it to one can just be a royal pain.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-16 01:05:12

SETUPS:

1. 2 APC40s linked but not synced with LED feedback for the knobs only.
2. 2 APC40s linked but not synced. LED Feedback for the knobs. ALL RED LED for clip launch buttons when started through Bome, GREEN when pressed. Let us keep it as simple as we can.
3. 1 APC40 with ALL RED LED for clip launch buttons when started through Bome, GREEN when pressed.

1 is one i want and if 2 and 3 can be setup in one file, that would be GREAT.

TY

DG

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-16 01:38:38

I'm just confused by the Linked part. What do you mean?

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-16 04:17:06

LINKED: As of right now, I control Resolume with one APC40 directly and the 2nd APC40 is running through BOME. I want both APC40s running through Bome to Control Resolume

Resolume = Controlled by 2 APC40s thru Bome
Ableton Live = Controlled by SAME 2 APC40s but, with Python Script.

Also, I would like a single APC40 with The LED setup explained above.

So the process I see is this

1. Start with getting Bome to recognize both APC40s with EACH APC40 having Different MIDI signals this would be the first BOME file.
2. setup the first APC40s LED Response on the knobs and RED LEDs in the Clip Launch section turning green when they are pushed BOME file 2
3. setup the 2nd APC40 LED Response on the knobs and RED LEDs in the Clip Launch section turning green when they are pushed BOME file 3

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-16 12:30:30

Okay, yeah, that makes sense now. The one thing we are going to need to do is reserve some buttons to send the command to go back and forth from the native mode and MT mode.

There are already a lot of instructions for this in http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3735. Check it out, give it a read and see where it leaves you. I am pretty sure he was doing exactly what you are.

J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-16 19:47:58

Mind BLOWN!!!!! Reading from the link you provided...WOW!!!! I understand some of it, yet a lot, I do not. I understand the concept of the globals and timer, but after that, I am lost.

I do not understand why we need a couple of buttons for MT and native mode. What is this for and how many buttons do we need.

I will keep reading and try to understand the link you sent me

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-16 19:56:19

haha yeah that's a pretty intense thread.

So you can't control Resolume and Ableton at the same time with the same APC40. You need to be able to switch from the native mode that communicates with Python, and the MIDI mode which will communicate with Resolume. That make sense?

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-16 22:02:12

I understand, but it sounds discouraging.

Ok.! Have a custom python patch that I commissioned out to someone. The script is a stripped down version of the original script. Everything is stripped except the midi feedback and red ring in the clip launch section. The red ring moves up, left, down and right one colum or row when the arrow keys are pushed. If you hold the shift button and push up or down, the ring jumps 5 rows and 8 columns if left or right is pushed. This option is the only reason for using the script file. If we can put that in the Bome file, that would be great.

The Ultimate Goal:

Run Ableton Live and Resolume at the same time and being controlled by 2APC40s. When I trigger a audio clip in Ableton Live, a video clip is triggered in Resolume.

So I can not control Resolume through bome and Ableton Live through a python script at the same time?

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-16 22:41:43

I just did a test using 1 APC40. I was able to control Resolume through bome and Live through a script file. The only issue was that there was audio cut out for a split second when I pushed a button. This might be because I am cleaning some audio files, my old MacBook pro dual core, I am not on my live drive(ssd), or conflict between bome and python script.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-17 00:03:16

I want to look at this in a step-by-step motion.

First I want a bome file that I can run 2 APC40s through.

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-17 04:01:35

Well, with a custom python script anything is possible :)

Can you try on a modern machine and see if you are still getting pops in audio? Or play with your latency? Cause if that's going to happen no matter what there's only so much we can do.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-17 05:06:37

I found out what the cause of the audio drop, midi syncing issues between apps and I can fix that. Resolume does not recognize python scripts.

So, let us start by setting up 2 APC40s in one bome file. This is the one file that I really need. The RED and Green LED portion can wait.

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-17 18:43:24

Okay, will do. So you can't put the red ring in through Bome, it has to be done in Python, so we will leave it there.

You will be moving through clips in Ableton, but will you also be moving through an equal number of clips in Resolume? So, as an example, you have a Session view in Ableton with 20 columns and 30 rows. Will you have a clip in Resolume for each clip in Ableton, and they will need to move in sync? Or will you be triggering the same page in Resolume over and over again?

Also, we aren't going to worry about MIDI from Resolume, only from Ableton for now, correct?

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-17 21:59:34

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Why is it that NO ONE ever understands me on the forums? WHY?????

ABLETON LIVE comes with a SCRIPT. There is NO NEED for bomes to control Ableton.

I want to control resolume with 2 APC40s and resolume does not recognize 2 of the SAME CONTROLLERS.

So for me to accomplish this, I NEED Bome to do this and I want both APC40s to run through bome.

this is what i need for my setup.

2 APC40s routed through Bome so I can map every button and knob on each controller to different things.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-18 00:17:48

Listen. I am sorry that I am getting Frustrated, but every time I go to a forum asking for help, I either under explain and everyone thinks I an crazy or I either explain to much and people do not understand.

It gets frustrating and is why I try to stay away from forums.

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-18 04:05:18

I understand the frustration.

I was under the impression that you got Resolume to respond to both APC40s... and wait a second... in Resolume, you're connecting them to the MIDI Translator Virtual Port, right? Not to the two APC40s... Resolume should only be connected to the Bome Virtual In 1. If you connect both APC40s then it will see the MIDI signals from those controllers.

I just can't see what you're doing. If you want we can set up a Skype call and look at these things on a screen share so I can get a better idea of what's going on.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-18 05:10:59

STARTING FRESH!!!!!!!

1. Resolume does NOT recognize 2 midi controllers that are the same MAKE and MODEL.
2. To fix that problem on my macbook pro, i went into the audiomidi and change the name of BOTH APC40s (APC40-1 and APC40-2)
3. now both APC40s are registering in Resolume, but both react the same. this is because both APC40s are sending out the SAME signals.
4. I came here and posted. I created a bome file with 2 translators with the rule pp=pp+8. the reason I did this is because through reseach that the APC40 is Coded using ONLY 8 Chnnels.
5. NOW I start bome and ONE APC40. I then start Resolume. I go into the midi setting and choose bome midi in and out along with the other APC40s in and out.
So one APC40 is running through bome and one is not.
6. I took the same bome file and tried to put 2 MORE translators with NO Rule. but it did NOT work. BOTH controllers are sending out the SAME midi signals.

All I need right now, is a bome file to run 2 APC40s through. Each Apc40 needs to have different midi signals coming from them so I can map MORE controls in Resolume.

SO. As of now. 1 APC40 is running through BOME and 1 APC40 is NOT. I want BOTH APC40s running through BOME with DIFFERENT midi signals coming from EACH.

the BOME file attached is what I tried to do but does NOT work. the picture of the log was taken from this file.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE LED COLORS RIGHT NOW!!!!
Attachments
DUAL APC40sa.bmtp
(764 Bytes) Downloaded 300 times
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.36.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.36.16 PM.png (34.88 KiB) Viewed 41135 times

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-18 07:30:45

HERE
Attachments
BOME.png
BOME.png (334.79 KiB) Viewed 41130 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-18 13:10:51

Since I am not in front of your machine, I need you to follow step-by-step or else this won't work. We are going to try something slightly different.

In Resolume, disconnect all connections to the APC40s. Instead, connect to Bome Virtual MIDI Ports 1 and 2, in and out. We are going to use two virtual MIDI ports to segregate the signals completely, and in prep for eventually needing to receive MIDI signals.

In Bome MIDI Translator, set up two presets, one for each APC40 (1 and 2). In the preset for APC40 1 (no translation) enter a translator coming from APC40 (1) and going to Bome Virtual MIDI Port 1.

In the preset for APC40 (2) enter a translator going from APC40 (2) to Bome Virtual MIDI Port 2. In the rules type in pp=pp+8

You should only have one translator per preset, each looking like:

Preset 0: APC40 (1)
Translator 0: APC40 1
Incoming Signal: pp qq rr (APC40)
Rules: None
Outgoing Signal: pp qq rr (Bome VMP 1

Preset 1: APC40 (2)
Translator 0: APC40(2)
Incoming Signal: pp qq rr (APC40 (2))
Rules: pp=pp+8
Outgoing Signal: pp qq rr 
Let me know if that works.
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-18 16:31:48

I was unable to get it to work. I hope I followed and understood you directions correctly. I attached a file for you to check out when you are in front of you Personal Comfuser.
Attachments
DUAL APC40sa.bmtp
(936 Bytes) Downloaded 296 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-18 16:56:20

I'm at my day job, so I can't open this in MT, but I'm reading a notepad version. The second preset looks like it is sending the outgoing signal to APC40-2, where it should be sending to Bome Virtual MIDI Out 2.

And I can't help if you don't tell me what isn't working so I can actually try to troubleshoot. Is Resolume not reading either APC40, is it reading them both as the same channel, etc.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-18 17:17:35

To Little this time...LMAO!!!!

Ok, See the problem, yet do NOT know how to fix it. there is only 1 Bome virtual port and would explain why on one APC40, when I slide a fader, the midi router arrows do not turn GREEN.

More Info. Resolume recognizes one and not the other or both act the same. Also there is only one Bome Midi option in Resolume.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 11.16.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 11.16.33 AM.png (66.71 KiB) Viewed 41114 times
Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 11.12.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 11.12.00 AM.png (64.63 KiB) Viewed 41114 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-18 17:26:59

This is a happy medium of information.

Okay, that's an easy fix. Bome MIDI Translator offers up to 6 Virtual MIDI ports, but they need to be activated. There should be a drop down menu to activate Virtual MIDI ports, and select a number of ports. You're obviously on the mac version, so go to Preferences, Settings, Virtual MIDI ports and activate 2 ports. Restart MT and Resolume and Resolume should see both ports and you should be able to select the virtual MIDI port 2 in MT.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-18 20:29:27

OK. I have solved the virtual port issue. I am still have a issue though. for some reason, the APC40 (2) keeps closing. when it stays open, the rule does not take effect and both controls still send out the same signals.

Check out this video I shot with my phone. you might

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-18 21:12:35

I added you on Skype this morning. I'll be back home and able to talk in around 2 hours.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-19 00:39:38

told you I was going to put the file to the test. I found something we forgot to fix...The faders.

Each fader is on a different channel except the master.

1 = 1/7
2 = 2/7
3 = 3/7
4 = 4/7
5 = 5/7
6 = 6/7
7 = 7/7
9 = 8/7
MASTER = 1/14
CROSS FADER = 1/15

both APC40s are using the same signals.

Back to testing the rest.

THANK YOU

DG

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-19 01:36:15

Alright, so for the first 8 faders we can create one translator. The rules are going to need to be the same as the "if pp==144 then pp=152" section of that preset.

Translator 2: Channel Faders
Incoming Signal: pp 07 qq
Rules: if pp==144 then pp=152
if pp==145 then pp=153
if pp==151 then pp=159
Outgoing Signal: pp 07 qq

Translator 3: Master Fader
Incoming Signal: 90 0E pp
Outgoing Signal: 91 0E pp

Translator 4: Crossfader
Incoming Signal: 90 0F pp
Outgoing Signal: 91 0F pp
That make sense?
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-19 02:17:05

there is only 7 rules in this code. shouldn't there be 8 rules.

Translator 2: Channel Faders
Incoming Signal: pp 07 qq
Rules: if pp==144 then pp=152
if pp==145 then pp=153
if pp==151 then pp=159
Outgoing Signal: pp 07 qq

1. The Crossfaders work fine.
2. The Cue Level knobs jump from 1 to MAX and nothing between but are on different channels.
3. Need to Tweak the LED signals on the buttons on the Knob side.
4. Red LED for Clip Launch
5. Track Selection Buttons register, but does NOT respond. These buttons are on Channel 1
6. HOPEFULLY Finished.
Attachments
DUAL APC40sb.bmtp
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-19 14:36:00

There should be 8:

144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151

2. My guess is the Cue Level knobs are endless encoders, not absolute knobs. Is there a setting in Resolume for the knob type being Relative?

3. I'll take a look.

4. Did you find the MIDI spec? It should say what type of MIDI message is needed for the LEDs.

5. Is neither side responding? I'm assuming you mean MT is triggering a MIDI signal, but Resolume is not receiving it.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-19 22:09:39

2. My guess is the Cue Level knobs are endless encoders, not absolute knobs. Is there a setting in Resolume for the knob type being Relative?
A. Fixed.

3. I'll take a look.
A. I have been playing around and have found out the the Device Control buttons need to be pressed twice for any action and the LED lights up after both
button push. These buttons will be used for on/off or bypass. When bypassed the light should be on and when not bypassed, the LED should be off
and the buttons should be one push

4. Did you find the MIDI spec? It should say what type of MIDI message is needed for the LEDs.
A. starting the search today.

5. Is neither side responding? I'm assuming you mean MT is triggering a MIDI signal, but Resolume is not receiving it
A. you are correct. Bome shows a signal in and out, I can map in Resolume but Resolume is not receiving it.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-20 07:18:41

QUESTION: Did you find the MIDI spec? It should say what type of MIDI message is needed for the LEDs.

ANSWER: Is this what you are looking for?

Type of LED Functions.

0=off,
1=green,
2=green blink,
3=red,
4=red blink,
5=yellow,
6=yellow blink,
7-127=green,

Type of LED Ring Functions

0=off,
1=Single,
2=Volume Style,
3=Pan Style,
4-127=Single

Ring LED Just add + 8 to the current CC#
Attachments
APC40-CC-midi-map.jpg
APC40-CC-midi-map.jpg (96.14 KiB) Viewed 41034 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-20 15:22:55

Exactly that. So what you'll do is create a new preset and call it On Load. You will have a series of translators which will use the Special Input Message called On Project Load. You will want to create a translator for each knob and each button (though, you can have one translator to default all of the buttons to red). It would look something like this:

Translator 0: Knob Default
Incoming Message: On Project Load
Outgoing Message: B0 0F 02
This will set the knob assigned to CC16 to be a Volume, or fill LED. Do the same thing for the buttons and you'd be set. You can list more than one MIDI command as well

Translator 1: Button Red
Incoming Message: On Project Load
Outgoing Message: 90 29 02 90 2A 02 90 2B 02 90 2C 02 90 2D 02
When you load the project that message will turn the left column red. :) Make sense?
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-20 17:56:52

I think I got it. I will work on it today.

I have been Thinking about my setup and there is one thing that I will need to incorporate into the file. I am still having problems the Track Selection buttons triggering anything in Resolume. Bome reads the in and out signal, Resolume lets you map the buttons, but there is action.

Once we can figure out this issue, I want to set them with an on/off switch. EXPALNATION: I have a new Python Script File coming to me. The File is based on the APC20 Script with a few buttons rearranged to be used on the APC40. The Track Selection buttons in the Script have been setup up so that when I hold the Shift button down, the Track Select Buttons turn off (NO Signal in or out when the buttons are pushed). Now in Bome, I want to setup the same buttons, but having them OFF and when I push the Shift Button they turn on.

I want to use the Track Select Buttons in Resloume for Deck Selection, yet keep the the Track Selection for Ableton. So each button will have on ON action and an OFF action.

Do you understand? :D

PS. I have a pdf with the pp qq rr or midi bite information for the APC40. If I have any issues, maybe we can hook up again next. SO CLOSE to Accomplishing the Goal of finishing this Basic setup and to bringing more money for development of the GREAT app. I have 15 Forums so far that I will be releasing the file for free and this will bring new customers. I have found, that many like to buy products that work out of the box. When it Comes to to Applications, many do the same. So, many of those that do NOT have bome and download my file, they will have to buy Bome. $$$$$$$$$$

PLUR!!!

DG

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-22 23:54:31

I used 'On Project Load' but there was on Error, then when I came back to it, it changed to On Pr oj ec t Lo ad.

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-24 01:36:57

I used 'On Project Load' but there was on Error, then when I came back to it, it changed to On Pr oj ec t Lo ad.
That might be a version issue. I know Florian is on vacation this week and should hopefully be back in a few days.
Once we can figure out this issue, I want to set them with an on/off switch. EXPALNATION: I have a new Python Script File coming to me. The File is based on the APC20 Script with a few buttons rearranged to be used on the APC40. The Track Selection buttons in the Script have been setup up so that when I hold the Shift button down, the Track Select Buttons turn off (NO Signal in or out when the buttons are pushed). Now in Bome, I want to setup the same buttons, but having them OFF and when I push the Shift Button they turn on.
This is a task for Global Variables.

Create translators as follows, replacing all signals with the appropriate messages:
Translator 1: Shift
Incoming Signal: 90 00 pp
Rules: h0==pp
Outgoing Signal: None

Translator 2: Track Select 1
Incoming Signal: 90 01 pp
Rules: if h0!=0 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing Signal: 90 01 pp
and fill in for all of your track select buttons. That make sense?

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-24 02:04:04

Fabian took care of my upgrade issue and this was tried on the latest version. I might be inputting wrong.

I am trying your new code now for the Track Selection Buttons.

TY

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-24 02:28:45

OK. I have the Track Selection Buttons Registering and triggering, I did not have that before. I am tried the shift button setup and got an error for the rule h0==pp. it said syntext error the same as On Project Mode.

The Fader Code you that you posted earlier did very little. It changed the code for the far left fader on the right APC40 to the same code as the fader next to it.

I uploaded a file. The names with the + in the name, work, everything without does not.

TY
Attachments
DUAL APC40sb.bmtp
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-07-24 03:34:45

Whoops, fix for the global rule is

h0=pp

just one ='s sign

As far as the faders go, just to be sure, you need each fader to mirror what we did with the pads, correct? We needed to move the triggers up 8 channels on the second APC40, so now we need to move the faders up? The rules look like they should work.

Attached is the fix with the h0=pp rule and a translator for the On Project Load :)
Attachments
DUAL APC40sb.bmtp
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-24 20:34:25

I will do my best to explain what is happening, but we might need to connect. I just went to map the faders. I mapped the 2 far left on the left APC40 (1/F and 2/F) I exit the mapping and slide the faders on the left APC40. they are registering and working. For a test, I pushed the same 2 Sliders on the right APC40 and the first fader and Resolume Registers fader 1 triggering fader 1 and 2 at the same time on the right APC40 and the second fader registers just the second fader. You might have to see it to believe it.

Digital Gigalow

2013-07-29 21:02:09

Still got some issues with my file.

1. Channel Faders are not right. the code you posted changed the first channel fader and now fader 1 and 2 register the same signals. the rest did not change.

2. The knob LED Volume status is still not reading correctly. no state change.

I would like to get this finished so I can start incorporate my LEAP MOTION into the mix. LEAP will be used for video Effects.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

The Digital Gigalow

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-01 23:48:32

WOW!!! I have been playing around and have been AMAZED!!!!

I have stripped down my file and only need one translator. Everything has been moved over 8 Channels. I think that the problem I had was the older version of Bome I had.

To get my file finished, All I need now is the Shift button option listed above fixed. I need to figure out how to setup the shift button so that when it is held down, the Track Selection Buttons will send signals and when the shift button is not pushed, they do not send signals.

I have yet to figure out the Knob Volume yet. I know I need a Translator for each knob, but have not been able to find the right code to do this.

THIS IS IT!!!

I uploaded the revised file so that anyone can take a look at it.

I deal without the knob volume indicator, but the shift button action is a must.

THANK YOU!!!
Attachments
DUAL APC40sf.bmtp
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-08-01 23:55:01

Hey there

Glad to hear this stuff is finally getting moving :)

So what you need to do for a shift function is assign a global variable to a button, and then have that global variable control whether or not the translators work. You can do this either via presets or in each individual translator. The shift button will look like this:

Translator 1: Shift
Incoming Message: 90 00 pp
Rules: g0=pp
Outgoing Message: None
Now, the translators (which can be grouped if all the track select buttons are on different channels but are the same command, or entered individually) simply need to have the rule: if g0!=0 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

That will mean that when you press the button those translators are ignored. Keep in mind if you are using channel modification (oo=pp+8) then you will need to add that into these translators so it is consistent.

Hope that helps :)
Thanks
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-02 01:44:59

OK. I have the shift button set up as a preset. All 16 Track Selection Buttons are on Different Channels. I have 2 Shift Buttons on to work with. the left APC40's shift button registers as 1/D3 and the right APC40's Shift Button registers 9/D3.

So should I utilize both Shift Buttons or would one Shift Button Across both APC40's and how should the translators look.

I am VERY Happy so Far. I am producing instructions on how to set this up and will be be releasing this on the WEB tonight.

THANK YOU!!!!

PS. The Shift Action is for my setup.

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-02 05:26:19

The Person I commisioned for my scripts sent me these codes, yet i do not know where to place them.

The translator for Shift would look like this:
Incoming: pp 62 7F
Rules: ga=0
if pp==144 then ga=1
Outgoing: None

The translator for Track Select would look like this:
Incoming: pp 33 7F
Rules: if ga==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
if pp>151 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: pp 33 7F

I sort of understand what is going on, yet since I 'Sort of know', I do not know if this will work and where I should place these translators.

THANK YOU!!!
Attachments
DUAL APC40sf-1.bmtp
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-08-02 14:34:41

I will need to look at this after the weekend once I'm home in front of my computer.

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-22 19:00:33

Hello!!!! I have been playing around and have figured out a thing or 2. First off, placement of Translators is KEY.

I have come closer to finishing the Shift Action for the Track Selection Buttons, the only problem is that the action is backwards.

I can map all the Track Selection buttons and they work and send signals WITHOUT the shift button being held. If I hold the shift button down, then the Track Selection Buttons do NOT send signals. This is the exact opposite of what I want, being that my Python Script files are are setup this way.

I want the action to be exactly the opposite way it is setup in the file I posted.

THANK YOU.

DvlsAdvct

2013-08-22 19:28:47

How are the rules set up in your translator? For example, if you set the global variable as such:

Translator: Shift Button
Incoming Signal: 90 00 pp
Rules: g0=pp
Then your rules in the translators would need to look like

if g0==0 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
or

if g0!=127 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
That make sense?

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-22 22:39:43

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I forgot to upload the file.

I will play with the settings you posted, while you check out the file.

Sorry about that.
Attachments
DUAL APC40sf-1.bmtp
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-22 22:54:46

I figured it out. YEAH!!!!

Now if I can get some directions on syncing the midi clocks. I am slowly figuring this out.
Can someone please give me a step by step directions. I tried to using the IAC in the audiomidi setting in OSX, but was unable to get it working.

PLUR!!!
Attachments
DUAL APC40sf-1.bmtp
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

DvlsAdvct

2013-08-23 00:27:18

To Sync the MIDI clocks you should be able to send the MIDI Clock from Ableton to Resolume. If you create a virtual MIDI port using IAC, use the Output in Ableton by simply activating the Sync piece of the Output entry in the MIDI preferences. in Resolume activate that virtual MIDI port to receive the Input.

That doesn't work?
J

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-23 03:42:31

I got it. they are synced now. YEAH!!!!!

One last tweak and I am all Good. I need one more translator for the LED Volume style. The Shift actions are set before last translator. I will but a translator before the APC40-1 translator that will change the LED status to volume. So what should be the codes to do this.

The Shift actions in my file go across both APC40's, so putting it before the APC40-1 Translator should change the status before changing the midi codes.

I would like an easy way to set this up. by this I mean ALL Volume status changes in ONE translator, plus it is cleaner. If I have to use multiple translators, that is OK and it will only be 16.

Thanks.

PS. I had 200+ people download my file.

PLUR!!!

DvlsAdvct

2013-08-24 23:13:31

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking for. You need a translator to shift what the volume faders control?

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-25 03:20:30

just need to change the LEDs around the knobs to the volume setting, this is where the LEDs light up and stay lit in the position that the knob is in.

If I am correct, I should be able to do this with 2 translators, one for the track control knobs and one for the e device control knobs. These translators would be placed BEFORE the APC40-1 Translator. Also I think that the rules can be setup across all 8 knobs in each section.

Understand?

DvlsAdvct

2013-08-25 15:32:41

To do this, you first need to store the volume states as global variables. You can do this in one translator using if/then rules, you just need to make sure the local variables line up. If all of the knobs work on the same channel then you can have something like:

Translator 1: Store Volume
Incoming Message: 90 pp qq
Rules: if ga==0 then Goto "Shift Off"
if ga==1 then Goto "Shift On"
Label "Shift On"
if pp==40 then i0=qq
if pp==41 then i1=qq
if pp==42 then i2=qq
if pp==43 then i3=qq
if pp==44 then i4=qq
if pp==45 then i5=qq
if pp==46 then i6=qq
if pp==47 then i7=qq
Exit rules, execute outgoing action
Label "Shift Off"
[i]Continue the rules from above, but with different global variables[/i]
Outgoing Message: None
So now you have stored the knob settings and can recall them when the Shift button is pressed. Add a timer to the end of the Shift translator, something like "Shift Timer" or whatever. Then you'd set a translator to update the knobs like:

Translator 2: Switch Mode
Incoming Signal: Shift Timer
Rules: if ga==0 then Goto "Shift Off"
if ga>0 then Goto "Shift On"
Label "Shift Off"
oo=i0
pp=i1
qq=i2
rr=i3
ss=i4
tt=i5
uu=i6
vv=i7
Exit Rules, execute outgoing action
Label "Shift On"
oo=i8
pp=i9
etc. etc.
Outgoing Action: 90 28 oo 90 29 pp 90 2A qq 90 2B rr 90 2C ss 90 2D tt 90 2E uu 90 2F vv
That way when you press the Shift button it updates the knobs, and when you press any of the other surrounding buttons it brings them back to the standard track select.

Make sense?

Digital Gigalow

2013-08-25 22:22:32

I think I understand. So if I push the Select button I can change the states of the LEDs? I like this setup but I do not need to change the states of the LED rings, i just want to change them to the volume style on load.

Type of LED Ring Functions

0=off,
1=Single,
2=Volume Style,
3=Pan Style,
4-127=Single

The LEDs are set on 4-127=Single.
I want to change them to 2=Volume Style

tell me if I am think correctly. If I setup 2 translators before the APC40-1 translator, with code for each knob bank (Track Control and Device Control) changing 4-127=Single to 2=Volume Style, that should work.

I am trying to keep this as clean as possible, so the least amount of translators would be nice.

Thank You.

DvlsAdvct

2013-08-26 15:22:55

OH! I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to change what information the knobs read out, not the mode in which they read out. If you want it to work like this consistently on loading the preset then you should use the Special Action "On Project Load". Should look like this:

Translator 1: Knobs on Load
Incoming Action: Special "On Project Load"
Rules: none
Outgoing Action: 90 00 02 90 01 02 90 02 02 90 03 02...etc
In the outgoing action just list all of the knobs in a row with the message for the volume readout. This way whenever you load the preset the knobs will automatically update to the Volume readout.