Route 1 MIDI port to 4 MIDI ports individually

florian

2013-05-26 12:08:33

A user asked:
I am trying to connect my Korg microKontrol port A to 4 virtual bomes midi outputs to control 4 instruments at different times. I got them all to work at same by connecting in project midi route with virtual cable. I remove the virtual cable and added 4 translators to be activated by 4 pads on my F1 controller.

On project level I activated in comes midi in the F1, & microkontrol port A. On midi out I checked the 4 virtual bomes output. I created the 4 rules, but I do not understand what to do next. Do i need multiple translators to make the F1 activate and deactivate the 4 virtual ports as I need them?

florian

2013-05-26 12:16:20

Hi,

you cannot selectively enable/disable MIDI ports from within MTP.
For your use case, you cannot use the MIDI routes, either (they're static and influencing them dynamically is not intuitive in your case).

Rather, do it one by one with "manual" routing:
1) start a new project
2) make sure there are no routes
3) create a preset "To Port 1". Open up its Preset Properties and select Port A as MIDI INPUT, and the first virtual output port as MIDI OUTPUT.
4) in this preset, create 2 translator entries that do nothing but forward the same MIDI messages:

Code: Select all

Translator 0: Forward 2-byte MIDI messages
Incoming: MIDI pp qq
Outgoing: MIDI pp qq

Translator 1: Forward 3-byte MIDI messages
Incoming: MIDI pp qq rr
Outgoing: MIDI pp qq rr
5) Now create a preset "To Port 2" by duplicating the first preset. It only differs that it does not use virtual 1 as default MIDI OUT, but virtual 2.
6) do the same for "To Port 3" and "To Port 4"

Now you can individually enable/disable a preset to activate routing Port A to the corresponding virtual port.

You can also add another preset called e.g. "Preset Switcher" where you can define translator entries that enable/disable the presets by way of outgoing actions. There is also a convenient way to cycle presets. Make sure to have checked "ignore for next/previous" in preset properties.

Hope that gives you a start!
Florian