BPM & Multiple Midi Messages Out from Single Translator

famusvictim

2013-05-19 09:03:23

TWO FEATURES I WANT THE MOST

FIRST FEATURE - MULT. MIDI OUT
A single MIDI message output per translator is perhaps the most cumbersome thing about MT, and limits the program from every being a useful compositional mnemonic tool, for those who want to create custom single button 4-part harmony controller set-ups, for example. If someone wanted to set up 8 4-note chords each designated to a specific controller pad, then it takes them 32 translators instead of what could be just 8 translators.

This is the one feature that I think could most increase one's efficiency with MT.

A program called Nodal does this (but only for note data, and is designed for organizing temporal and tonal algorithms, instead of MIDI translation and MIDI translation algorithmic control) - but seeing this made me think that this really should be a feature of MT... especially from a musician's standpoint, and also from the standpoint of having a simpler project file.

In general it would make an MT project file look like, feel and behave in a much more efficient and uncluttered manner, in my opinion. It could reduce bugs, unclutter the sometimes massive number of translators, and be more cognitively efficient.

Perhaps it could even lead to new functionality that might appeal to musicians, especially those used to sequencing, in future versions, like drop down menus for chords, or even custom arpeggios (see below).

A SECOND SUGGESTION:
I would REALLY like MT to autodetect BPM information from software inputs, and then have a drop down feature where you can link timers to the BPM via note types (1/64th to whole note, etc...) This could REALLY turn MT into a custom effects powerhouse...

florian

2013-05-25 15:40:08

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions. Multiple MIDI OUT for a given input trigger can already be achieved using two different approaches:
1) concatenate the MIDI messages in the MIDI OUT field: Say, you want to send three messages: "90 40 7F", "90 43 7F", and "90 47 7F". Then you can just put them all into the outgoing action:

Code: Select all

Translator 0: approach 1: one input note, three output notes
Incoming: MIDI "90 30 7F"
Outgoing: MIDI "90 40 7F 90 43 7F 90 47 7F"
2) Or, create multiple translator entries where each one has the same input trigger. Make sure that you don't check "stop processing" so that all translators get executed. Taking the example above:

Code: Select all

Translator 0: approach 2: one input note, output note 1
Outgoing: MIDI "90 40 7F"
Translator 1: approach 2: one input note, output note 2
Outgoing: MIDI "90 43 7F"
Translator 2: approach 2: one input note, output note 3
Outgoing: MIDI "90 47 7F"
For version 2, we plan to allow you to add as many Outgoing Actions to a translator entry as you like.

Regarding BPM detection, yes, that would be awesome! I'll write that down. Would be really useful.
And to have MT act as a time source, too.
Florian

famusvictim

2013-05-29 23:52:25

thanks much!!!

If you read my response that was right here, I moved it to a new thread because ideas just kept coming to mind to warrant a new thread for public comments

Tony_Blend

2013-11-21 16:17:59

florian wrote: For version 2, we plan to allow you to add as many Outgoing Actions to a translator entry as you like.
Great to hear that a version 2 is on the cards ... How is it coming along ??? Multiple outgoing actions (with individual delay) would be great! ++1