Reason 7 and Axiom 61

Jimco

2013-05-19 03:38:29

I'm trying to set up a simple translation to use with Reason 7. I'm using an Axiom 61 2nd gen (not pro) controller. What I want to do is translate one of my transport buttons to a keystroke. Here's what I've done.

In the MIDI ports dialog, I've checked:
Bome Virtual Port 1 OUTPUT
BOME Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out OUTPUT
Axiom 61 INPUT
MIDIIN2 (Axiom 61) INPUT

(The Axiom uses the "Axiom 61" port for keys and the MIDIIN2 port for the transport buttons, knobs, sliders, etc.)

Next I set up routing that sends Axiom 61 and MIDIIN2 input to the Bome Virtual Port 1 output.

In Reason, there are three configurations; Controls In Port, Keyboard Port, and Controls Out Port. It's configured like so:

Controls In Port = Bome's Midi Translator 1
Keyboard Port = Bome's Midi Translator 1
Controls Out Port = MIDIOUT2 (Axiom 61)

With this configuration, you get what you might expect; the transport buttons work, but the keybed doesn't.

Has anyone every used this particular configuration that can offer any assistance?

Thank you. :)

Jim

Jimco

2013-05-22 20:50:00

For anyone else struggling with a configuration such as mine (where the keyboard on your controller uses a separate MIDI channel from the transport controls), the solution is quite simple. It occurred to me today as I was doing something entirely unrelated.

In the MIDI configuration in MT, you can choose how many virtual ports you want to use. You'll need to use two; route the keyboard port to one and the transport control port to the other. Once you do that, you're golden.

Jim

florian

2013-05-25 16:30:58

Hi Jimco,

thanks for letting us know! Has this answered all your questions? Just for reference, would you mind to summarize the working MIDI setup, and/or post the .bmtp project file?

Thanks!
Florian

Jimco

2013-05-25 18:03:12

Hi, Florian. Sure, I can do that. I'm on a different computer now, but I'll add it a bit later.

The problem was essentially a brain malfunction due to being new to MT. Most keyboard controllers (possibly all of them) use a different MIDI channel for transport control and for the keybed itself. If you need to translate a transport control, you'll have to open that port AND the primary port for the controller in MT. However, you can't route both of these ports through the same virtual port in MT. Obviously, since you're using two ports from the controller, you need to route them as individual virtual ports into your DAW. :)

I'll post my configuration and the .bmtp project file later today. I'm also going to do some work with a foot controller connected via MIDI thru to my keyboard controller and see if I can complicate the setup further. I'll post what I learn from that as well.

So far, extremely impressed by MT! Possibilities are practically limitless! This opens up a whole new world.

Jim