Need Help! Is this possible?

UnforcedRMP

2013-05-01 16:54:45

Hello,
I'm new at this forum and didn't use MT until now. I'm from Germany and hope my english is good enought that you understand what I'm searching for.
So before I'll install MT I want to ask you if it's possible.

What I want to do is switching from one vst-instrument to an other or three others with one knob on the midikeyboard. For example one vsti receive midichannel 1, the next vsti midichannel 2, midichannel 3 are 3 vsti for multiplay, midichannel 4 is also an single vsti. To change the midichannel during a song takes to much time (push global channel, then the knob up or down). At Presonus Studio One I could jump from one track to the next or back, but for example not from 2 to 7 and then back to 4 and so on.

So now my question: On the midikeyboard are 8 free knobs to configure for midi controlling. So MT receive data from knob 1 and the output action is: change midichannel to channel 1, if 1 push knob 2 the output action is: change midichannel to channel 2, if i push knob 3 the output action is: change midichannel to channel 3 and so on.

If this is possible I easyly could change form one sound (vsti) to any other which is loaded in Studio One.
So does anybody knows if this will work with MT free or MT Pro?

Regards J.S.

DvlsAdvct

2013-05-03 14:27:24

Hi UnforcedRMP

Yes, this is definitely possible. There are two ways to do it, one requiring MT Classic, one requiring MTPro.

If you use Classic (and are on a PC as it does not work with a Mac), you would be switching presets. You would need one preset for each channel you want to use, and a preset to control the switches. Each individual preset would contain two translators which would reach as

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Channel Change
Incoming Message: 90 pp qq
Outgoing Message: 91 pp qq

Translator 2: Channel Change
Incoming Message: B0 pp qq
Outgoing Message: B1 pp qq
Assuming your MIDI keyboard sends messages on channel 1 (90/B0) and this preset would be for your switch to channel 2 (91/B1). You would want one preset for each channel. And then you'd have your switching preset which would look like

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Activate Channel 1
Incoming Message: 90 00 7F
Outgoing Message: Activate Preset Channel 1

Translator 2: Activate Channel 1
Incoming Message: Preset Change Channel 1 Preset Activated
Outgoing Message: Preset Change Channel 2 Preset Deactivated
And this would go on for each button. So you'd activate Channel 1 preset by pressing the knob and you'd want to make sure that you have a separate translator to deactivate each other preset.

That being said it is MUCH easier and cleaner to do with MT Pro, but I figured I'd give you the free option. If you decide to purchase MT Pro let me know and I can walk you through how to do this with Rules.

Thanks
Jared

UnforcedRMP

2013-05-03 18:55:30

Hi Jared,
thank you for your extensive description. The information is for my brohter who needs this function, but I could better explain the situation. He and I are no midi experts but we will try it. It could take some time until we will do this. Do we need a virtual midi port like loopbe to send the midi messages to the DAW (Presonus Studio One) or will bome classic be seen as midi input in the DAW?
You say its easier with the pro version. My brohter would buy the pro version if its a problem with the free one. His songs have a lot of keyboard tracks with different sounds and vstis and he woul be able to play them live.
Regards from Germany
Jürgen Sauer

DvlsAdvct

2013-05-03 19:01:56

If your brother gets MT Classic he will need something like MIDI Yoke or LoopBe. If he purchases MT Pro it comes with a set of very stable Virtual MIDI Ports included.

We will be around here to answer questions as they come :) No rush