Changing the resolution of knobs of a midi controller

CENTRIC

2013-02-25 18:45:01

Hello, is it possible to use midi translator to change the resolution of a midi controller knob? Here's my dilemma:

- When I use my Arturia Midi Keyboard with Arturia's Minimoog plugin, the knobs such as the filter are super hi res and have no stepping when tweaked.
- When I use the same knobs to control any other non Arturia synth (VSTs and hardware analogs), the knob resolution is terrible and has a bad stepping effect

Since this problem is not occurring with the Arturia plugins, it leads me to believe that the controller is physically capable of sending hi res messages, but that something is getting lost in translation when used with 3rd party gear. Any ideas?

-jj

http://youtube.com/centricvideo

DvlsAdvct

2013-02-26 04:39:52

Hey Centric

What is most likely happening is there is some sort of handshake between the keyboard and the plugin, allowing the high res communication. Can you view the MIDI signals with MIDI-Ox or some sort of MIDI viewer? If the knob is sending different messages than the other VSTs are listening for you can have issues as well.

It's a lot easier to scale messages down than up, so let's see.

:)
Jared

CENTRIC

2013-03-01 18:23:02

Thanks Jared. Good news is that I used the midi monitor in Midi Translator to figure out whats going on. Bad news is, I don't think its fixable. The Arturia keyboard is in fact sending 7bit midi, because when I do a really really slow filter sweep from low to hi, it generates just about 127 distinct values. HOWEVER, if you do a filter sweep at any normal use speed, it only generates around 35 values between 1 to 127. So the keyboard is skipping/ truncating data when you use any of the knobs. Interestingly enough, the sliders on the keyboard do not truncate data, no matter how fast you use them, but all the knobs do. So whats likely going on with the MinimoogV Vst, is that its programmed to compensate for the truncating and it smooths out the gaps in data to allow for smooth filter sweeps. Use that keyboard with any other non Arturia VST and you get really bad zipper effects, because its sending way less than 127 values.

Any ideas if this short coming is in the knob pot or if its in the keyboard brain? I doubt replacing the pots would fix it, but I'd love to find some kind of work around, because I really like the size and layout of the keyboard controls.

DvlsAdvct

2013-03-02 00:23:24

Most likely it's in the way the MIDI brain is interpreting the data. I would contact Arturia, honestly. I have friends that have had good interaction with them.