MT, Ableton Live and Novation Remote SL Zero midi controller

rishi

2006-11-17 05:35:01

Hi Florian,

Are there any restrictions on midi devices being used with multiple applications (ie: MT and Live)? This may be a problem more for Novation but I am hoping you might be able to help me.

I am trying to use a Remote SL to control Live via the midi learn feature and with keyboard shortcuts using MT.

I can create presets in MT no problem, and I can use the Remote SL with Ableton without problems. However, (unlike my BCD2000) I cant seem to run the Remote with Live and MT at the same time.

If I load up Live first MT says it cant select the Remote because it is already in use. I dont have this problem when I do the same with my BCD.

Why would this be? Can I get around the problem? I dont get this error when I do the same with my BCD2000.

Thanks!

florian

2006-11-17 11:11:54

Hi Rishi,

indeed, depending on MIDI driver, a MIDI port may be an exclusive resource, i.e. only one program can connect to it. It seems, the Remote is such a single-app MIDI driver.

You can "daisy chain" using MT's MIDI thru function:
- in MT, select Remote as MIDI Input
- in MT, check Options|MIDI Thru
- in MT, select MIDI Yoke 1 as MIDI output
- in Live, use Yoke 1 as MIDI input

Now, MT sends all MIDI messages that come in from the Remote also to MIDI Yoke 1, which are received by Live then.

Hope that helps,
Florian

rishi

2006-11-21 06:42:58

Thanks!