Sync MT to clock

bobbyquine

2012-11-19 12:51:16

Hi,

I read the APC40 learning thread with interest, because it seemed to tell me that MT can sync to clock information being sent from something that MT sees as a midi in port (F8 was the example).

Is it possible to sync MT to midi clock sent from a DAW?

I'd like to set up a midi buffer in MT which is constantly recording the midi output of my keyboard and will play it 1,2, or 4 bars later.

Unfortunately my host Studio One doesnt seem to allow midi control of tempo, otherwise I'd update MT 'tempo' from the same controller.

Many thanks

B

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-20 00:20:48

Hi bobbyquine

What you want to do is possible with variables.

First you need to set a MIDI message in MT which receives a MIDI clock from your DAW. Once that is set you need to create some rules and timers to put everything together. You also need to know how the MIDI clock works per beat. In Traktor, as an example, an F8 signal is sent 24 times per beat. In that case, it would read something like

Code: Select all

Translator 1: MIDI Clock In
Incoming Message: F8
Rules: g0=g0+1
if g0>24 then g0==1
If g0!=1 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing Message: Downbeat Timer
So now that you have your MIDI Clock ticking off a timer you can do anything you want with that signal. It can count another global variable up and send a new signal every 4 beats, or 1 beat, or 32 beats, etc.

That make sense?

bobbyquine

2012-11-20 01:11:38

Great!! Glad to hear it...

Needed to confirm that F8 was a midi protocol and not a Traktor thing....

I realize now that I had MT set up in Studio One as a 'Keyboard' rather than as an 'Instrument' and so it wasnt getting clock.

Thanks again for letting me move forward with confidence

B

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-20 03:53:17

Not a problem at all. Keep the questions coming :)