midi port selection per tranlator

iroefs

2006-11-14 00:15:09

maybe this can be partially solved by using multiple running instances of the program.

It would be nicer to have an option on each translator to select an incoming midi port and/or an outgoing midi port.

I believe now this is a global setting using the main menu.

florian

2006-11-16 09:14:17

Hi, this is planned for a future version of MIDI Translator, maybe already in the final version 1.5.

Regards,
Florian

chris_dan

2007-01-22 09:25:31

Hi Florian,

What's the status of this enhancement?

Chris

florian

2007-01-22 18:05:51

the concept is worked out, but the implementation is still pending. It is one of the 2 major new features coming next (the other is built-in virtual MIDI port).

Regards,
Florian

chris_dan

2007-01-23 12:06:22

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the update. For my own clarification you are referencing the midi "ports" and not midi "channels" as far as reassignment is concerned. With Live6 and the 01x configured as the remote, by incorrectly assigning a virtual midi port, Live6 blows it's mind. I've read and experienced the warnings that the virtual port software states about doing just that. From your knowledge of virtual ports what causes the system to lock up. Regardless, shouldn't there be some kind of record ock placed on the related resource to avoid the problem or is it not that simple?

Chris

I need to get back on track with my own project.

florian

2007-01-24 00:59:20

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what would cause Live to lock up when using a virtual port. A possible cause would be circular feedback.

Anyway, I was referring to a port and not a channel. In any case, usage of MT's virtual port feature will be optional.

Regards,
Florian

chris_dan

2007-01-24 04:16:06

Hey Florian,

I believe that you are correct regarding the feedback loop issue. I'm certain that the docs in midi-yoke clearly warn against piping the output back into the input which brings on the blue screen of death. I've been using Maple as per one of your posts a while ago and I believe that they also warn about the same issue (midi feedback loop). I'm not sure if there is an expression in German but the term "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" should apply. In other words if you know it's going to cause a problem then don't do it but it's easier said than done.

It's not a problem on your end but when it does happen MT, Live and the 01x drivers will not shut down. Where's the "kill -9" command when you need it although that can be dangerous as well.

Anyway, no big deal....

Chris

florian

2009-03-27 17:35:08

Hi,

in version 1.7 for Windows (just released), you have access to multiple MIDI ports. You can select the port(s) per translator, but also set a default for a preset and for the entire project.

Regards,
Florian