Any way to get MT to show up in Sonar?

Ozarkeys

2006-11-08 20:41:25

Is there any way to get MT to show up as a Midi in and Midi out port in Sonar? I'm using a VH11 Roland hi-hat with Larry Seyers Acoustic Drums and I can play it live and via the MT translate the to notes to have breath (which controls bow to edge in LSAD) with them so when I'm playing on the bow it goes to bow samples, and when I'm playing on the edge it goes to edge samples. The problem is that I route out to GigaStudio3 and translate what I'm triggering and hearing, but no way to send the output of MT into Sonar without actually sending it through midi cable out and in. I'll record the midi track as I'm playing it and hear the Translations, then once I'm done recording I have to play the track route out midi cable and back in then translate and midi cable out and in to record the translation (where I then filter out all but the breath translations I wanted to keep).
Any way to have midi in and out ports available within Sonar?

Also, I would like to utilize Larry Seyer's 5 different keys for closed to open hi-hat. The hi-hat pedal sends CC#4 is there any way to say if CC#4 is between 01-20, then no change; if CC#4 is between 21-45, then change note on C#3 to to D#3; if CC#4 is between 46-67 Change note on C#3 to F#3, if CC#4 is between 68-95, then change note on C#3 to G#3; if CC#4 is between 96-127, then change note C#3 to A#3 ??? These aren't the exact 5 ranges but you get the idea hopefully.
Please tell me this is possible as it would make for great electronic hi-hat playing.

Double thanks in advance.

--Ozarkeys

florian

2006-11-16 00:51:39

Hi Ozarkeys,

have you used virtual MIDI ports? MIDI Yoke is one that will probably do the job for you. It is like using a physical MIDI port with a cable connecting MIDI out to MIDI in, just it's implemented in software.
http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm

There are other virtual MIDI drivers, but they all work the same.

A future release of MIDI Translator will have a virtual driver built-in, so that you can select MIDI Translator directly in other applications as MIDI IN.

Regards,
Florian

Ozarkeys

2006-11-21 20:01:49

I use GigaStudio and read at midi Yoke that there were colflicts between Giga and Yoke, so it suggested Maple Marble something. So I installed that and as soon as it finished installing it blue screened my pentium D 955 xbk (dual 2.8) (2gig ram). After booting back up maple in and outs worked, however I'm leary of anything that brings about the blue screen. After getting that off my system, I've gone back using a midi cable. Oh well. Look forward to that being added to the next version.

How about the second part of my original question? Foot controller CC to decide which note of the closed to open hi hat note is sounding off. I have C#3 being sent from my VH11 hi- hat for the closed Hi hat. However the VH11 also sends CC#4 1-127 for the hi hat foot pedal info. I would like the note C#3 to be transposed based on the CC#4 info so as to utilize the 5 levels of closed to open hi hat. Any Ideas?

--Ozarkeys

florian

2006-11-22 13:26:53

Hi Ozarkeys,

of course, I'm generally using the same technology as Yoke, Maple, etc., so bome's virtual solution may cause such problems, too. But we'll try hard to get it to work!

Regarding your second part, it's similar to
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=145
and
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=441
and, for a more complex example:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=229

Let's see, I try to make up an example. I'm not sure, which values you actually need, I assume the following:
C#3 = 3D hexadecimal
evenly divide the 127 levels of controller #4, so that
0-25 -> C#3
26-51 -> D3
52-77 -> D#3
etc.

In the following example, the global variable ga is used to store the level, 0 to 4. Then this level is just added to the note if C#3 is coming in.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: receive pedal info
INCOMING: MIDI B0 04 pp   [i.e. controller #4 on MIDI channel 1]
RULES:
  ga = pp / 26
OUTGOING: [can be set to "none"]

Translator 2: patch note when playing the high hat
GENERAL: output both input and output: no
INCOMING: MIDI 90 pp qq
RULES:
  IF pp != 0x3D THEN exit rules, skip translator
  pp = pp + ga
OUTGOING: MIDI 90 pp qq
Let us know if that works!
Florian

Ozarkeys

2006-12-01 22:10:43

That worked for half steps. As it turns out my hi-hats are on the black keys C#, D#, F#, G#, A#, So I set up if pp > __, then ga= __. I did that for each range and can decide exactly which note to go to. Works Great!!
I was even able to set it up so that the bow to edge samples are trigger by the note that is sent and not pitchbend. C# is bow/edge 1, D# is bow/edge 2, G# is bow/edge 3, and A# is bow/edge 4. They all switch through the five hat positions. So I can send seperate bow and edge as well as have it close to open all 5 positions. Totally Cool!!

Thanks for the help.

---Bransonkeys

florian

2006-12-02 15:18:57

yeah, great to hear that it works!

Florian