vst midi output to MT

bobbyquine

2012-11-16 13:19:02

Hi,

Im using MT with Presonus Studio One 2.

A VST that i'm using, Fxpansions Geist, has midi output available, and in S1 I can easily select this as the input midi for another VST, which is the reason I switched from Logic. However, I'd like to subject Geist's midi output to further processing in MT before it is routed to other vst's. Unfortunately I can't see a way in S1 to route a vst's midi out to any midi ports, it only seems to come up as an input option for other vst's.

Obviously I've asked on the S1 forum if this is possible, but is there any 3rd party solution?
I also presumed that this is what 'midi loopback' is all about, but I can't get any answers.

If it just isnt possible in the vst protocol to do this, then perhaps this could be a feature request.... an MT vst that can either function as a virtual input for MT, or a player vst that can load presets?

Many thanks

B

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-16 13:57:00

Hi bobbyquine

Are there any preferences in Geist that allow for routing MIDI, or does it only, by default, send MIDI to S1?

Also, can you create, sort of like in Ableton, a track that receives MIDI with no device in it and route the MIDI out of THAT TRACK ALONE to a specific MIDI port?

As far as players, right now the only option for player VSTs are OEM solutions provided to manufacturers for their hardware (the Stanton DaRouter as an example). However, Florian and I are in talks for the next steps of MT and that's one of the things on the list.

If it isn't possible in the VST itself, and there's no basic midi routing in S1, then there's no way to get the MIDI to MT to retranslate it, unfortunately.

J

bobbyquine

2012-11-16 15:11:56

Hi Jared,

No Geist doesn't have any midi output options. And S1 doesn't let you do that as far as i can see, although I'm still investigating. Thanks for clarifying that point though, glad to know some DAWS do allow that.

When you say an MT player vst is possibly coming, please consider the vst midi routing thing so that it would be a workaround for S1, or any DAW that doesn't allow that kind of routing.

Thanks again

B

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-16 19:02:36

Well, I'm not sure that is even doable, really. You run into the same issue: if you can't route the MIDI out signal then you can't get it to MT.

Although, something to check is what Geist's options are in stand alone mode. Maybe those settings can be saved and active when in VST mode?

bobbyquine

2012-11-18 17:17:59

Geist standalone does have some midi out options but they don't seem to have any effect when the vst loads.

Bummer about S1 nor routing vst midi out....

In the end I also realised that I don't need it for now, I only needed to transpose the Geist midi output before it went elsewhere and I can do that in S1.

Thanks again for the pointers

B

makerprofaze

2012-11-25 11:44:08

There are actually quite a few options if you're still interested, but it does add complexity.

http://energyxt2.wikidot.com/midi-output-vst-plugins

bobbyquine

2012-11-25 12:25:41

Ah yes thanks.... I downloaded the free pizmidi midi out for mac, and it works great!

Thanks for the heads up

B