Problems with Midi Translator and Digi 002

bryanschulz2

2006-11-06 20:51:05

I have installed Midi Translator and Midi Yoke. I have the virtual ports now. When I try to configure, I get the following problem: In Midi Translator, I can select the virtual midi port (midi Yoke) for the output, but when I try to select My Pro Tools Digi 002 at the input, it will not let me do it. ANy suggestions?

Thanks!
Bryan

florian

2006-11-06 23:16:20

Hi Bryan,

what exactly happens when you select the Pro Tools input? Will it issue an error message? What's the text of the error message? Check the status bar, too...

Thanks,
Florian

bryanschulz2

2006-11-07 18:40:24

Hi Florian-

The error message says:

A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system.

Thanks,
Bryan

florian

2006-11-07 22:46:01

That is really weird! This message usually appears when trying to open a device that's already removed/unplugged, or a general programming bug.

Can you select the Digi 002 with SendSX?
http://www.bome.com/midi/sendsx/

Thanks,
Florian

bryanschulz2

2006-11-08 00:33:11

Hi Florian-

I downloaded that program, and I get the exact same error message when trying to assign the 002 to the midi input of SendSX.

Thanks,
Bryan

florian

2006-11-10 17:20:09

Hi Bryan,

sorry for this problem. This is the first time that such an incompatibility is reported. I suspect the Digi driver to be incompatible with the Windows MIDI stack.

Have you tried to update the Digi drivers?

Regards,
Florian

gfrees

2007-01-06 20:12:27

Hi Florian,

I am having the same problem. I have installed Midi Translator and am getting the "A device ID has been used that is out of range of your system" error when trying to set the MIDI input of MT to my Digi002 Rack unit.

The physical setup is:

Korg M1 Midi Out --> Digi002 Rack Midi In

I have determined the following important information.

1. If I turn on the Digi002 Rack and then immediately launch MT, then MT works fine and lets me select the Digi 002 for input. If I play keys on my Korg M1, MT sees the MIDI data just fine.

2. If I turn on the Digi002 Rack and then immediately launch Pro Tools LE 7.1, then when I later launch MT I get the "A device ID has been used that is out of range of your system" problem. This behavior makes me believe that only ONE software application at a time (either Pro Tools, or MT) can get input from the Digi002. It appears that the two applications cannot simultaneously select the Digi002 hardware to receive MIDI input.

Is there some way around this problem?

Best regards,
Greg

gfrees

2007-01-07 20:11:16

Hi Florian,

I found a workaround to the problem. Since the problem appears to be related to having ProTools and MT both trying to have control of the Digi002, I decided to route the Midi ouput of my Korg M1 into the Midi input of my Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS card. I then chose the Audigy as the input into MT. Then I assign the MT output to Midi Yoke. And then in ProTools I select Midi input from Midi Yoke on a midi track. This worked!

NOTE: I had hoped that MT would show up as a Midi device in ProTools so that I could get the MT output directly from MT and thus avoid another layer of software like Midi Yoke... but unfortunately, MT does not show up as a Midi device in ProTools for me.

My original goal was to convert cc007 volume changes into cc011 expression pedal changes using MT... and it worked!

Best regards,
Greg

florian

2007-01-07 21:02:33

Hi Greg,

I'm glad you found a solution and that MT helps you achieve your goals!

Indeed, as you guessed, some MIDI drivers are exclusive devices, i.e. can only be opened by one app at a time.
gfrees wrote:NOTE: I had hoped that MT would show up as a Midi device in ProTools so that I could get the MT output directly from MT and thus avoid another layer of software like Midi Yoke... but unfortunately, MT does not show up as a Midi device in ProTools for me.
This is being worked on, a later version of MT will feature such a "direct" port for usage in other apps.

Florian