Note to CC - using midi keyboard to control kp3 effects

nouse6796

2012-10-31 20:12:51

Hey all, forgive me if this is a relatively simple process, but I'm pretty confused and could use some help.

Briefly, what I'm trying to do is hook up a midi keyboard to control the x/y controller on my kp3. I need a preset in Bome to convert the midi notes into CC info in order for the notes I hit to map to the xy pad. So you hit a C on your keyboard - it maps to a specific point on the kp3. I'm doing this with the hopes of putting an arpeggiator inline to produce stuttery glitched outed effects by just holding a chord on the keyboard.

So has anyone made a midi note to CC preset like this? I feel like I would have to do something fairly labor intensive at this point with my limited knowledge. Can anyone help me do this?

Thanks!

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-02 17:21:50

Hi nouse6796

Sorry for the late reply. Hurricanes and all :)

I don't know if anyone has an existing preset but I can walk you through how to set the commands. It is labor intensive, but it gets easier and easier every time.

What you need to do is link your keyboard's note messages to different velocity/position data of the same CC messages. What I would recommend doing is setting different "zones" of the keyboard to the X and Y parameters of your KP3, for logic and simplicity. This isn't that hard, actually. You'd have different translators that would resemble the below :)

Assuming middle C is the furthest left of X and C# us the lowest Y, and the parameters are CC 0 and 1 for X and Y respectively can go it would look like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: C3
Incoming Message: 90 40 pp
Outgoing Message: B0 00 00

Translator 2: D3
Incoming Message: 90 42 pp
Outgoing Message: B0 00 09

Translator 3: E3
Incoming Message: 90 44 pp
Outgoing Message: B0 00 0F

Translator 4: C#3
Incoming Message: 90 41 pp
Outgoing message: B0 01 00

Translator 5: D#3
Incoming message: 90 43 pp
Outgoing Message B0 01 09
That make sense?

nouse6796

2012-11-02 19:45:19

Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much. One question: The CC values that are standard for x and y on the kp3 are CC12 and CC13. What are the corresponding hexidecimals for those CCs?

Also - can you think of any other ways I could potentially do what I'm trying to do? Maybe a way to make it more flexible?

Thanks again!

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-02 19:55:04

Hex for 12 is 0C and 13 is 0D

There's also a binary to hex help menu in the PC version if you hit Show Help.

Well, if you have a controller with aftertouch then you can have some fun with starting points, or hold and press for velocity to move it from its original point. What keyboard are you using?

nouse6796

2012-11-02 20:06:53

Very cool ideas. right now I'm just using a little oxygen controller. No aftertouch, but maybe I'll add that later down the road on the design if I change keyboards.

So the "zones" I am setting up are basically the white keys controlling the X-axis location and the black keys controlling the y-axis?

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-02 20:12:40

It's an idea. You can also set the first octave to X and second octave to Y with the last C (25th key) to a global off or something.

This is the most basic setup, though. Once you get everything moving and you understand it there are a TON of other options you can get into while combining the knobs on the controller, as well as using variables to make it more expressive.

nouse6796

2012-11-02 20:22:15

Cool, yeah I just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything. I think ideally I'd want a single key to correspond to a point on the grid, rather than having to hit 2 keys. But the problem that brings up is I'd need a whole lot of keys to cover each of the points on the grid, and I'd rather keep the whole thing in the range of 2 octaves or so.

I'm going to try it the way you have outline and tweak from there. Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back to discuss more if you want to help me flesh this out.

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-03 16:56:13

Come by with any questions you have. It's why we're here :)