Keystrokes Does Not Work in Ableton Live 8

Sheri

2012-10-20 14:19:10

Hi folks,

I think the subject identifies the problem clear enough. Does anybody have an idea about the solution?
It would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Sheri

DvlsAdvct

2012-10-20 16:12:40

Hi Sheri

Can you please give us a little more information? Are keystrokes not working when being translated by MIDI through MIDI Translator?

Jared

Sheri

2012-10-21 16:06:02

Hi DvlsAdvct,
Thanks for quick response.

I have a M-Audio Prokeys 88 keyboard and I am using Ableton Live 8 and lots of VST's. What I want to do is actually quite simple. I want to assign some of my VST's into Ableton's tracks and when I hit my program changer pedal, Ableton switches to next track and arm that particular track only, so I can play on stage.

I was searching internet to do this and stumbled upon your software, decided to give it a try. When I hit my pedal, it sends two midi signals as "pedal down" and "pedal up". Which is good since I thought I could assign the first signal to switch to the next channel and second to arm the track. I could somehow manage to arm the track with my pedal but no matter what I do "switch to next track midi signal" does not work on Ableton Live 8. To arm the track i am using a particular midi message (90 00 f7 in this case) as outgoing action and it works. But when it comes to selecting the next track I have to use Keystroke emulation and eventhough it works with notepad, it doesn't work with Ableton Live 8.

So I thought the problem is maybe with Ableton. I did a little bit searching and came across these topics.

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2740

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3113

Other than downgrading to XP or using two monitors, none of these threads come up with a decent solution.

I've decided to try my luck by downloading Ableton Live 7 and trying it again voila! both commands are working. Butl I'd still prefer to use the program with Live 8 instead of Live 7.

Note: I am using win7x64, ableton live 8.0.1, m-audio prokeys 88 connected via usb to my laptop, midi ox and MT for whole process.

Thanks in advance.

Sheri

DvlsAdvct

2012-10-21 19:18:01

Hm... so it's working in Ableton 7 but not Ableton 8, huh?

Sounds screwy, to say the least.

The foot pedal should send 7F when pressed down and 00 when released. So to be sure, before we start trouble shooting, your code should be:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Pedal Down
Incoming Message: 90 00 7F
Rules: None
Outgoing Message: Keystroke

Translator 2: Pedal Up
Incoming Message: 90 00 00
Outgoing Message: Keystroke 2
Obviously replace "Keystroke" and "Keystroke 2" with whatever the necessary commands are.

Right?
J

Sheri

2012-10-22 14:27:21

Hi DvlsAdvct

Thanks again for fast response.

Appearently i spoke too soon since today when i was experimenting with Ableton Live 7, i realized that i can select the next track with my program changer but this time i cannot arm it! My code is exactly like this:

Translator 1: Pedal Down
Incoming Message: B0 42 7F (i put my program changer pedal into sostenuto port of my prokeys 88)
Outgoing Message: Keystroke Emulation: Right
(this works with ableton live 7, but not with live 8)

Translator 2: Pedal Up
Incoming Message: B0 42 00
Outgoing Message: Midi Message: 90 00 7F
(this works with ableton live 8, but not with live 7)

This is seriously nuts and definitely not something your software responsible of. Maybe i should complain in ableton forums.

Thank you guys anyway.

bsfreque

2012-10-22 14:47:09

Hi Sheri!

I'm using lots of keystrokes with ableton. When using arrow buttons to select the next track, the problem is usually not having the "track section" of ableton active. Instead the arrow button control the effect section, or something else. Also, when switcing back from another app to ableton, the track section might not get selected. I found a workaround for this. If you push the tab button twice (quickly switch between arrangement and session views) the track section becomes active, and arrow buttons now control moving between tracks. 

You can try this. Just push the tab button twice, and try if your keystroke emulation now works. If it does work, then you can automate this with MT.  Duplicate the incoming trigger. 
1st trigger is the 1st tab press, 2nd trigger is the 2nd tab press, just delay the outgoing action a bit. (I have only 5ms in between the two and it works) Then all the other actions come after that, just delay them a bit more than you delayed the 2nd tab.

Let me know if this works for you.

Sheri

2012-10-23 17:25:32

hi bsfreque!

I did as you said but my problem persists. Eventhough i select the "track section" manually, the track arms but it doesn't move to the next track in live 8. In live 7 it's contrary like a mentioned above.

Can you please tell me what version of Ableton live are you currently using? Maybe i should go with that?

Thanks for help!

Sheri

DvlsAdvct

2012-10-23 17:53:32

I have an idea, but I need to know what version of MT you're using. Are you on Classic or Pro?

J

Sheri

2012-10-23 19:58:51

I am using pro version which is a trial for now.

bsfreque

2012-10-23 20:52:05

I'm using 8.3.4, but I'm on mac os X 10.8.2 instead of using windows.

Just to make it clear.. what exactly have you mapped the pedal up (90 00 7F) command to in ableton?
I mean, if you have several tracks in ableton , and you want to record arm one at a time, you should have separate midi commands for each track's rec arm, right?
Or is there a universal "arm selected track" command that I haven't heard of?