minor problem with ghosted midi device (resolved)

softcore

2012-10-12 19:36:31

Greetings and congrats for the great software. I am using Bomes Midi translator Pro almost a year now and have never had a problem figuring out the way to work with it, hence never being present in thse forums. lately, however, I 've been trying to fix a minor detail which is doing my head in and I cant.

Im using latest version (1.7.2) on Windows 7 64 bit. As you might now, when a USB midi device gets plugged in to a different port in your system, it is renamed with a number in front of its name. My launhcpad has, over the times, been plugged to 3 different USB ports - making the system presenting the device as "Launhcpad", "1-Launchpad", etc etc. Now my problem is, I have steadily been using it on one given USB port, in my DAW it is presented as "Launchpad", it is present in Bome's Midi Translator but whenever I start it, a pop up message that
"3-Launchpad" could not be opened - use a different midi port in the Midi setup". The weird part however is that NONE of my translators use "3-Launchpad". In other words it shouldnt be referenced. I even tried with a new blank project, created a translator with the working Launchpad ports yet still every time the software is started it references the non existent "3-Launchpad".
In the Midi settings there is, again no reference anywhere to "3-Launchpad"
I also noticed that upon creating a new alias, the option to use "3-Launchpad" is there (and of course if I select it it remains pending). How do I make Bome's Midi Translator disregard the once existent "3-Launchpad" port which is now irrelevant?

I tried cleaning my system from "ghosted" midi devices (it also involves a registry hack so that those can be actually visible in device manager) yet still, no luck.

Everything is working perfectly but the reason I want to fix this minor detail is because I sometimes work in clubs or radios and whatnot and upon switching on all my stuff, I dont want to have pop up alert messages falsely alarm me. I want my system to notify me only when indeed something is unplugged- not working.

Thanks in advance!

DvlsAdvct

2012-10-15 18:38:52

Hi softcore

I am pretty sure this is intended useage, but let me pass this on to Florian and see what he says. There are a bunch of workflow situations people have been asking to be altered, but the we'll see what he says.

Stay tuned :)

J

softcore

2012-10-15 23:42:39

Yeah I figured as much as I guess this is what makes MT so robust when a midi device gets unplugged mid-session. But I thought there could/would be a way to handle the situation when you specifically want to disregard a device.

Thanks for the reply! I'd be delighted if we could find a workaround-solution though!

florian

2012-10-16 00:17:19

hi, check out this post, I hope it'll fix your situation (and explain some...):
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3820

Florian

softcore

2012-10-16 00:53:01

Yup, as I suspected. If Im getting it correctly, all I have to do is re-connect my Launchpad to the port which names it "3-Launhcpad" so that it stops being "pending" and then simply uncheck the alias....

I'll try it! Thanks for the feedback and by the way, Im a great advocate and fan of MT - I make sure I mention it whenever peeps ask me about midi controllers! ;)

florian

2012-10-16 01:12:35

oh not even that!
just go to the MIDI device (and alias) list and look for the "3-Launchpad" entry (status "pending"), and
- Windows: uncheck it
- OSX: double click it
Restart MT and it should be gone.

MT only remembers devices (existing ones, or previously existing ones) as long it is supposed to open/use it. Once you close it, non-existing devices will be removed.
Florian

softcore

2012-10-16 01:14:35

Ok guys...just to let you know, now that I understood the logic it was as simple as:

1.Launchpad connected to USB ports until it gets named "3-Launchpad"
2.Open MT - "3-Launchpad" was checked ( I had once used it in my project but then instead of de-selecting it, I had deleted the alias)
3.Deselect the "3-Launchpad" ports
4.Save project

Done! I then removed my Launchpad and re-opened the project - false alarm gone, everything works as expected.

Thanks for your help - I changed the post title to (resolved)!

______________________________________________________________________________________

*note* There was no 3-launchpad alias Florian I had deleted before getting to uncheck it! That was my problem! I had to re-create it to uncheck it!

florian

2012-10-16 01:46:48

softcore wrote:*note* There was no 3-launchpad alias Florian I had deleted before getting to uncheck it! That was my problem! I had to re-create it to uncheck it!
oh darn, so that is sort of a bug in MT (on Windows, that is).
Glad that you could get rid of the false alarm now!
Florian