reverse sustain pedal

pianoguy

2012-08-30 00:58:07

Hey Guys!

My problem:
I'm using an Alesis Q49 keyboard together with Ableton Live 8.0.1 in order to do some recording. Everything works fine except for the sustain pedal which does exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to do. I googled for a solution and finally got myself Bome's midi translator. But now I'm a bit confused with the setup of Bome.

Basically I don't get the MIDI settings working: Which devices do I have to select as MIDI IN/OUT in Ableton and which devices do I have to select in Bome's?

And then finally: How do I reverse the sustain pedal?

Greetings
pianoguy

pianoguy

2012-08-30 01:00:28

As an excuse: I'm kind of new to this whole recording thing, hope you understand what I mean ;)

DvlsAdvct

2012-08-30 05:08:01

Hi pianoguy

Thanks for picking up the software. It can be understandably confusing.

In MIDI Translator you need to set default ports. You're going to have to select the drivers that you're using for the footswitch. So if it's plugged into the Q49 you need to use those drivers. Set the default ports in MIDI Translator to incoming the Q49, and the output as Bome MIDI Translator Virtual 1

Then you create a preset (the left side) and call it Footswitch, and on the right side create a translator for the Footswitch's signal. Name it Footswitch. On the incoming signal click "Capture" and press and release the footswitch. It should read something like 90 00 pp, correct? It may look different, if so that's fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by reverse, though. Do you want it to send an off signal when pressed and an on signal when released?

In Ableton you just need to select incoming from the Virtual 1 port. You don't need to set a device.

Make sense? There's a lot of stuff going on, so if this doesn't make sense that's completely understandable. Let me know and I can get more in depth with it.

:)
Jared

pianoguy

2012-08-31 01:01:43

Hey Jared!

Thanks very much for the quick answer!

I did everything the way you told me and it works perfectly!
I mean I get a signal in Midi Translator for the switch: When I hold it I have B0 40 00 and when I release it I have B0 40 7F.
My problem is as I mentioned above that the pedal doen't have an effect when I press it and sustains the notes when I release it. I would like to reverse these effects now.
So while holding the pedal notes should be sustained.

I hope I made it clear this time ;)

Greetings

DvlsAdvct

2012-08-31 02:14:21

So you want the on message on press, correct? (00 is off 7F is on)

If I'm right, then you just set the output message to the opposite So if the input message is 00 just make the output 7F and the opposite for the 7F incoming message.

Pending I'm understanding you correctly.

pianoguy

2012-09-02 15:22:17

Yeah that's right!
But how do I set the output message to the opposite?

DvlsAdvct

2012-09-02 16:53:15

Just put the output message in reversed. It should look like this

Code: Select all

Translator 1: On to Off
Incoming Message: B0 40 7F
Outgoing Message: B0 40 00
You would need two of those with alternate messages. OR you could do it in one translator with rules

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Signal Reverse
Incoming Message: B0 40 pp
Rules:
If pp==127 then qq=0
if pp==0 then qq=127
Outgoing Message: B0 40 qq
Hope that helps.

pianoguy

2012-09-28 17:49:41

Ok, thanks for the help so far, but somehow it still won't work.

I set Bome up the way you explained it. The light for MIDI In, Translating and MIDI Out are flashing each time I push the pedal, so Bome should be working properly I guess. But the sustain pedal still works the opposite way.
I guess then, the problem is the 2 programs operating together?

Do I have to set up the MIDI Router in Bome?

DvlsAdvct

2012-09-28 18:23:48

Can you look at the log window and see what's sending out?

niobehorton

2012-10-17 03:45:14

where can I find the log window?

DvlsAdvct

2012-10-17 04:01:37

If you're on a PC, it's under the View menu.

If you're on a Mac it's on the bottom of the screen and you just need to select which messages it's reading (incoming/outgoing, etc.) Just turn them all on and hit Record or Start (can't remember as I'm on a PC).

J

brentingroum

2012-11-16 04:01:21

I am having the exact same problem with the sustain pedal and the Alesis Q49. I have used Bome to translate the events for the sustain pedal and it works great. I just need to know how to make the rest of the keys pass through Bome without having to create a translation for each key. Any help?

Thanks,
Brent

DvlsAdvct

2012-11-16 04:38:57

In the MIDI Router, simply drag a connection between the keyboard's MIDI input and the virtual output you're using. This will tell MIDI Translator to pass through all signals except what is translated.