GUI tools and export/compile to VST plugin

Sakis

2012-07-10 14:11:44

Maybe on a superPRO version of MT ,an option to make a preset or project as a midi vst plugin?Also an option to built a GUI interface(with rotaries,buttons,faders,keys) would be great.
I would be happy to help on beta testing :)

florian

2012-10-15 09:09:55

the "custom GUI" version is work in progress. About VST, I'm not sure.
Thanks,
Florian

Sakis

2013-03-15 23:47:44

Hi,
Sorry for the bump!Any news for the GUI version?I'd love a sneak preview screenshot!
If you need beta tester please count me in!

Breeze

2013-05-10 00:00:27

Actually it also occurred to me that MT would be a very powerful tool to use within a DAW. The obvious advantage of this is not having to manage MT setups outside of a project. As it stands now I use Bidule to perform MIDI translation duties within a DAW, but that's a complete VST host. It would be valuable to see MT perform the same role without the VST hosting baggage, but I honestly don't know how feasible it is because I suspect that MIDI is handled somewhat differently in different hosts.

Sakis

2013-05-10 14:37:01

Breeze wrote:Actually it also occurred to me that MT would be a very powerful tool to use within a DAW.........
+100000!But even outside a DAW ,with an interface where you can build rotaries , buttons and name them ,it would be more user friendly!

Breeze

2013-05-10 14:56:09

The Yamaha MEP4 was basically an early idea for a standalone hardware MIDI processor, minus the rotaries and knobs. It's not as sophisticated as Bome is, but it can do a lot of remapping and substitutions. I've seen some cheap on eBay.

Sakis

2013-05-23 13:09:09

Thanks for mentioning the MEP4.What a beast!never heard it before!More powerful than MIDI Event Processor from MIDI Solutions but I guess it was very difficult to program it...

Breeze

2013-05-23 15:50:39

Sakis wrote:Thanks for mentioning the MEP4.What a beast!never heard it before!More powerful than MIDI Event Processor from MIDI Solutions but I guess it was very difficult to program it...
Actually it was a PITA to program but not because it was complex: it had its own display and a relatively simple structure, but because it was from the "use the least buttons possible" philosophy of the day, you ended up pressing or holding down buttons a lot to scroll through parameters and values. Once programmed though, it was very solid. Its biggest disadvantage was that they built it into a full-size steel rackmount case; not something you can just throw into the gig bag.

But it's greatest failure is that it was a very closed system: there was no way to include new processing algorithms. Today it would seem almost absurd to put so much effort in producing hardware like this for the limited processing it can do. In many ways MT is so much more evolved and integrated into our virtual environments; and the good thing is that it keeps evolving. ;)

If you're still curious you should read the manual (available as pdf online) to get a better idea of what it did and how it worked.