A Functional Text Editing Environment

doombadger

2012-06-30 15:44:14

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before but it's the single biggest bugbear in my MT Pro workflow. Editing. I seem to spend way way too much time clicking and moving the mouse just to edit a single list of translators, triggers, actions or names. There's no real support for <Ctrl-C>, <Ctrl-V> and when changing one tiny aspect of a list of translators, sometimes with as many as 70 or 80 on a page, can take a very long time and be needlessly intricate. What could work is a function to save to text but as a format that can be edited in wordpad or notepad++ and then re-imported back into MT Pro as an edited preset that can then be run, checked, debugged and if need be, re-exported back out to a text editor.

Also, an ability to create a series of translators based on given parameters could be helpful. If I know that I need 20 translators for a preset, all coming from the same MIDI IN, on channel 1 and I want them all to send the same message via the same MIDI OUT to an application but all on channel 6 then by quickly setting those paramenters I could tell MT Pro to create the translators I need instantly. Another way of implementing this could be to take a list of completed translators which are tested and confirmed working and use them as a template to create identical translators for either another controller, preset or control surface. I'm thinking of the SCS.3d scripts here as much of them us duplicated with only very minor changes, all of which are pretty uniform. You can even see where the guys quickly copied and pasted presets between the decks as they copied the mistakes in too. Must have spotted loads of times when a translator was quickly duplicated, the triggers, rules and actions changed so they work, but the name being forgotten about and kept the same as the one above. Then those clerical errors are copied onto decks B, C and D. It doesn't matter really, but I notice these things.

Something else I've considered is having a built in library of common rules and the maths used to implement them. A repository of clearly labelled rules would have been a godsend on this project. The sheer volume of flip charts and coloured pens I got through is cause for an environmental impact study :lol:

Anyhow, just a few ideas that have popped into my head these last 6 months and for some reason have refused to leave.

Maybe now I can finally sleep..........

florian

2012-10-19 00:05:12

Hi doombadger,

sorry, I haven't seen this post before! You're absolutely right, and I wish I was faster at improving the editing experience. We have made lists of ideas for improved preset creation, including snippet libraries, templates, function calls, etc. But we can only move step by step! Better editing without the mouse is one thing I really want to improve.

Thanks,
Florian