So, Who Wants A Preset For the SCS.3 in Ableton AND Traktor?

doombadger

2012-06-30 14:31:22

Hi there guys,

As I'm sure no one really knows I've been quietly working away on my own project, scripting presets for the APC40, SL Mk2 and SCS.3 system for Ableton Live AND Traktor Pro. As I'm pretty much learning as I go everything is taking twice as long as it should and is being built, scrapped and rebuilt at least three or four times as my understanding starts to catch up with my expectations. Consequently, it's still not ready for release into the wild.

But, I do want to get something out so who would like some of this:

SCS.3d & SCS.3m Preset for Traktor Pro & Ableton Live
- taken from the master template: 'New Beginnings: Open Source MIDI Control Project'

SCS.3d Decks A & B: Traktor Control
  • -FX modes 1 / 2 - Trigger, Select, Control
  • -Loop mode 1 / 2 - As standard SCS presets.
  • -Vinyl mode 1 / 2 - Scratch & Bend Control. Phase Monitor LED Feedback
  • -Trigger mode - Set, Save, Cycle & Jump To cue points.
  • -EQ1 mode - File Browse & Load into Deck A or B.
  • -EQ2 mode - **Not Mapped(coming soon)
  • -Tempo Control - Auto Pitch Sync or Manual Beat Match selection.
SCS.3d Decks C & D: Ableton Live Control
  • -C & D mapped as controllers for Track/ Device / FX control in Live(coming soon)
SCS.3m: Ableton Live Control
  • -Dedicated Track Level control for Audio input channels from Traktor. Track assignment hardcoded using python remote script ClyphX from Stray at nativeKONTROL.
  • -3 Band DJ EQ modified from original by Terakith with LOW/MID/HIGH Kills & one touch restore. Kills can be either momentary or toggle. EQ page remembers settings and recalls correct LED feedback.
  • -Allen & Heath style filter sweep adapted fromn original by Tarekith. OneTouch ON/OFF control, can be set to momentary or toggle activation.
  • -Send/Return Control for FX sends A,B,C and D - Slider and button functionality for dry/wet FX or ON/OFF. Also can be momentary or toggle and FX page remembers settings and recalls correct LED feedback.
  • -Fade2Distort effect originally from S4racen at Isotonik Studios.
  • -Almost all controls are set to relative2comp for sensitive adjustments.
Features to be implimented in future:(coming soon)
  • -SCS.3d: Decks C & D mapped as controllers in Live
  • -SCS.3m: Mapping and assignments for layers C and D to Ableton.
  • -Custom remote control surface python script with 'red box' functionality utilising Ableton API.
Will be available for download as archive containing:
  • Traktor Pro 2 mapping and settings file with audio out to Ableton, MIDI clock Slave Sync - Tested working in Traktor Pro 2.5 (no sample deck operation - coming soon) .tsi
  • Unencrypted Bome MT script file .bmtp
  • Ableton Live template set featuring audio in from Traktor, MIDI clock Master Sync and 4 Send Return FX channels .als
  • Setup Guide / Mapping Diagram / User Guide .txt
*will also require full registered versions of Ableton Live or Suite v8.2 or higher, Traktor Pro v2 or higher, Bome's MIDI Translator Pro v1.7.2 and nativeKONTROL remote script ClyphX (requires Beatwise Network forum registration)

If anyone wants this I'll need to isolate the SCS.3 translators from the main project and create one just for the Stanton which I reckon should take me a day. If this is something people are keen to have then make some noise and show some love and I'll get it up there for all you lovely people to have a play with.

All feedback, ideas, suggestions, criticisms, complaints, rants and sexual advances welcome.

doombadger - damagedgoods

doombadger

2012-07-05 16:19:43

23 views and no interest eh? Fair.

Update:
SCS.3d: Decks A & B Traktor Pro control.

EQ Mode 1: Encoder browser control. Slider S4 scrolls tree browser, double tap S4 expands/collapses directory. Circle C1 scrolls list view. Button B13 acts as toggled Shift control. Shift S4 splits slider into 2 buttons for Up and Down in tree browser. Shift C1 is course list scrolling with high relative acceleration for rapid movement through large directories. B11 load selected track to Deck A. B12 load selected track into Deck B

EQ Mode 2: Button browser control. Splits S3 and S5 into eight buttons and S4 as slider. S4 tree scrolling, B15 tree scroll Up. B16 Collapse directory. B17 TBC. B18 tree scroll Down. B19 TBC. B20 expands directory B21 TBC. B22 TBC. Shift controls 8 buttons slider all assignments TBC.

SCS.3d: Decks C & D Ableton Live control

Vinyl Mode 1: Session view navigation and clip management control. Circle C1 scrolls tracks and selects the clip playing and brings it into focus. S4 scrolls through scenes. B11 Undo. B12 Redo. B13 Delete selected clip.

More is coming every day. I'm exploring using 8 button Circle mode with a Hold detection which switches to Circle mode on long press and has double click functionality. Also trying to find a reliable method of accessing Lives file browser. Tried AutoHotKey but it's too glitchy as are all the various implementations of it (i.e. nativeKEYKONTROL)

More updates as they come. Anyone got something they'd like to see implemented? As ever, any ideas or feedback are welcome and appreciated.

Zac Kyoti

2012-07-26 00:07:41

I've explored this territory, heheh! Don't be put off by lack of interest - if your work is of use to you then it is still valuable.
I released early versions of the same sort of package as you've put together on select forums about 2 years ago, and a full beta with no bugs that I could detect about 6mo ago, and it's received about 25 downloads to date. My work was built for the APC40 though. I'm fine with that, because what it's shown me is that # of pieces of software involved + # of templates is inversely correlated with interest from the general music making public. And that makes sense - after all, it's not your average dj who owns Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, the specific controller you've developed for, is potentially on a specific operating system depending on the .tsi, knows how to use/set up all of that stuff, AND actually wants to. The fact that Traktor tsi's plus Bomes equals less flexibility for customization for an average user doesn't help either.

I'm happy with my 25 downloads because I'm pretty sure I got a dl from every dj in existence who met the above criteria :lol:

I think some want to use Traktor + Ableton, definitely without any third party software. Most just want to use one piece of software. It's a tiny fraction that want to fully geek out, but damn is it cool. I've got "The Bridge", but for Traktor, and way more awesome.

Hit me up if you ever want to talk shop!

doombadger

2012-07-26 13:22:30

Hehehe I'm not in the least disheartened but thank you for your encouragement. Anyone who says they don't appreciate the support of others is either a liar or a fool....or possibly both. Lol.

The project is still very much alive and will remain so. It was only ever begun to suit my own requirements and to overcome inherent shortcomings of the kit. I'm currently exploring remote scripting as I find a combination of Bome's + control scripting works really well. Also, Ableton seems to struggle with too much midi mapping. Don't know if anyone else has experienced performance issues or audio drop outs with large midi maps?

I'm away for a few days but will try to post an update of where I am now. Some exciting things have been implemented with the SCS.3 and Ableton session view ;)

mommar

2012-08-21 20:29:05

Hi. I'm new around here. Is there any news on this thing? I just got an SCS.3 System and have been having issues with Traktor 2.5. I've also been contemplating my own usage in Ableton but have yet to take the plunge and get the Bomes editor software. I'd be willing to beta test whatever you have for both pieces of software.

DvlsAdvct

2012-08-22 05:39:13

What issues are you having in 2.5? I can pass a note to the Gibson/Stanton guys if necessary. :)

mommar

2012-08-22 13:35:54

To be honest it's not just 2.5. My issue is that the SCS was NEVER really supported, as I've come to discover, and is buggy right out of the gate all the way down to trying to use two decks and the mixer with any of the generic presets without painful/tedious internet searches for information/updates. Specifically, for the moment, it's a bummer that in 2.5 it appears there's no way to scroll through my playlists and select new tracks via the controller. I was trying to minimize messing with the computer. I somehow doubt they'll get that fixed before my party Saturday. Also, considering I just read that the SCS.3 system comes packaged with Virtual DJ and doesn't require the awful DaScratch interface I highly doubt they'll put much effort into anything related to Traktor anymore... they already haven't put any effort in even when it WAS their preferred software package.

I was also curious what sort of controls this guy was working up for Ableton just to see how it works out. I already have zero hope Gibson would attempt to fix/add something for Traktor. If I asked about Ableton I imagine they would send a representative out to my house to punch me in the face just for the inquiry.

DvlsAdvct

2012-08-22 15:24:51

I can't really tell you you're wrong. I worked on the last official update for the SCS3 and I know that the solutions aren't perfect. It does surprise me that they didn't allow a zone for browsing ON the controller as opposed to requiring a layer.

Now, that being said, this doesn't mean we can't actually set a layer to browse if you wanted. Do you own MIDI Translator Pro?

mommar

2012-08-23 01:48:04

I haven't paid for it yet. I was looking around to see what sort of free options were available first.

DvlsAdvct

2012-08-23 04:21:39

for the SCS3s, unfortunately there aren't any. And short of actually scripting the firmware I haven't found any free options that are as easy to learn and use as MT.

I'll be around if you have any more questions.

doombadger

2012-08-23 12:35:42

Just to let you know im still here im just dealing with some real world stuff right now. I'll be back on this ASAP.

mommar

2012-08-24 03:11:02

Is there a way to script the firmware?

seithisbad

2012-09-17 23:34:39

i am so glad i found this! please make this preset! i have been dying to use my scs3 system to use with ableton. all the other presets for darouter dont work on ableton and i really want to use it to DJ from and record mixes and podcasts and possibly even produce on it if i could figure that out as well. keep us updated on this and i will be sure to help spread the word

doombadger

2012-09-22 09:14:54

OK so I'm afraid to say I've been very busy with other things and this whole project has taken kind of a back seat however I've decided to upload what I have and let you guys play with it.

I must stress this is quite unfinished but all the main elements are there INCLUDING application feedback from Ableton using ClyphX.

These files are provided AS IS and without support (at the moment)

I hope to be returning to this project again once time allows.

As the file limit here is 512k you can download everything HERE

DvlsAdvct

2012-09-22 18:25:03

Thanks doombadger :)

mommar

2012-10-01 00:28:23

doombadger wrote: I must stress this is quite unfinished but all the main elements are there INCLUDING application feedback from Ableton using ClyphX.

These files are provided AS IS and without support (at the moment)

I hope to be returning to this project again once time allows.

As the file limit here is 512k you can download everything HERE
hey man thanks for the update. I know there's no "support" as it is but I'm not even sure where to deploy the files required, such as the ClyphX stuff, to interface with Ableton. Have any "installation" notes too?