Newbq: trouble opening midi input port (ok in MidiOx)

randallpatrickc

2012-06-15 21:41:52

Hello,
very basic understanding question I suspect (sorry):

I've setup midi over wifi from my Mac to an rtpMIDI PC port. I'm sending note on messages and seeing those on the PC in a MIDI Ox input port monitor "portname" so the MIDI over wifi is working.

On the target PC, I see the "portname" as an input device in Bome's MIDI/Settings/Setup MIDI devices, but when I check the "portname" box to select it as an input port, I get a pop-up - "cannot open MIDI input device -"portname" - undefined external error"

I'd be grateful for some assistance.

(I want to send an ABleton Live note-on, over wifi to the PC that is running ProPresenter for Bome to generate a "trigger video" with a hotkey)

Hopefully, Patrick

DvlsAdvct

2012-06-19 02:31:26

When you open MIDI Translator, make sure there are no other programs running that have "Portname" active. That should do it.

randallpatrickc

2012-06-19 18:01:03

Thanks for the help but I think I'm still confused (no other programs are using that portname)
I've tried to explain a little better:

I have Ableton Live sending note ons on my iMac to the MIDI network. This seems to be working ok. I'm using Tobias Erichson's hopeful looking PC MIDI network driver to try to receive these note on's on my PC. You can see (from rtpMIDI running on the PC) my iMac on the network:
rtpMIDI.JPG
rtpMIDI.JPG (45.2 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
If I start up MIDIox (well known midi monitor) I can see the note on's coming in (but on Patrick-PC not Patrick's iMac?):
MIDIincomingok.JPG
MIDIincomingok.JPG (84.68 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
In Bome, I can't capture these note on's. Nothing is on any of the input ports.
Thinking I might not have this setup right (I should be able to see my iMac) I go to Bome's midi port setup and check Patrick-PC (which is showing the incoming notes) but get:
BomeError.JPG
BomeError.JPG (90.83 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
Does that help you to help me? (Hope so!)
I don't understand why I'm not seeing my iMac in rtpMIDI - maybe that's the problem - I'll try to contact Tobias to see where I'm going wrong.

Kind regards
Patrick

DvlsAdvct

2012-06-19 18:51:43

I have never used Tobias Erichson's PC MIDI network driver thing before, so I can't be sure.

I know that I always get that error when I have my routings wrong and other software is open that's reading a specific MIDI port that I'm trying to get MT to open. Let me do some thinking, but in the mean time I would recommend contacting Tobias Erichson and seeing what they say.

But if the only things open are the server that creates the MIDI driver and MIDI Translator and it won't load it I'll pass it on to the boss man and see what he says

randallpatrickc

2012-06-19 19:14:24

Thanks - yes I start up rtpMIDI then Bome and get the error. (I still think somethings not quite right with my midi over wifi - I've asked Tobias to take a peek here too).
Kind regards, Patrick