Cant get rid some unused ports

Sakis

2012-05-14 00:23:53

Hi,
I noticed that if I don't use a midi controller anymore and delete the alias ,MT keeps complaining of the lost.I don't always use it(an akai lpd8) but it's strange that even if I make a new project without it (not on specific ports,project-preset properties) ,then save it and reopen it MT asks again to make an alias...
Also I can't get rid of "Bome Virtual Port"(see the picture).Only if I rename it there is an option to delete it,but again it appears on every new project...
Attachments
1.png
1.png (39.9 KiB) Viewed 6436 times

florian

2012-05-16 13:45:12

Hi,

I believe that, although cumbersome, the behavior is "as designed":

1) Port Persistence
  • Let's say you use the LPD8 MIDI ports in an MT project.
  • then eventually, close MT. It will store the state, including which MIDI ports are currently in use.
  • now unplug the LPD8
  • next time you restart MT, it'll try to re-establish the state it was in when getting closed.
  • It will not find the LPD8. It will create an alias for it and mark it as "pending". The reason is that you might have unwillingly unplugged the LPD8, so the "pending" state will ensure that whenever you plug in the LPD8 again, it'll be opened by MT immediately.
Now this clutters the list of MIDI devices if you don't intend to use the LPD8 at all.
The fix is to close the device (uncheck on Windows, double-click on OSX). Then you can delete it. It will also be cleaned up with the next restart of MT.

2) Auto Virtual Aliases
I thought it would be handy to have automatic, always available aliases for the internal virtual ports. The thing is, people ask for being able to rename the virtual ports. But then, if you use them in your project, you will reference them by that name. Now your project won't work out-of-the-box unless your virtual MIDI ports have the same name.
So I introduced automatic aliases for the virtual ports. Every virtual port has its fixed name alias which you can/should use in your projects instead of the device names. Like that your project will be portable across different versions of MT, the MT Player, and future versions of MT no matter what the name of the virtual ports is.

Too Many Ports
I assume you want to get rid of non-used ports/aliases because the list gets long and it's a hassle to scroll to the right one, especially in the "per translator" port list. The soon-to-come unified version of MT will sport the OSX GUI where there is much more (expandable) space for the MIDI port list.

Bugs?
So as I see it, the issues you describe are by design. Or is there something not working as described above? If yes, it's a bug and should get fixed. Otherwise, do you have ideas how your life can get improved with those MIDI ports?

Thanks,
Florian

Sakis

2012-05-16 15:57:54

Thanks Florian ,that clarifies the mystery of "Auto Virtual Aliases" with bome's ports :)
But as far the Port Persistence there might be a case that a controller is broken,or someone sell the particular controller...so MT will keep asking for it forever,even if you delete the alias.So maybe an option "never ask for this controller again" would be handy.
And in case of working with different projects-controllers,when someone sets the project default ports I'd prefer not showing any other midi device on the midi alies.
Same thing can be done for the per preset settings.Meaning not showing any other port ,on the "specific port's" window ,when someone has set particular ports(chosen within the project's deafault ports only)
That would keep things clean and simple(but,hey,it's my opinion only,just a proposal!)

florian

2012-05-19 00:22:48

Hi Sakis,
Sakis wrote:so MT will keep asking for it forever,even if you delete the alias
a valid point. Right now, the key to happiness is to uncheck the MIDI alias, not to delete it. I'll write it down that it gets virtually unchecked when deleted.
Sakis wrote:And in case of working with different projects-controllers,when someone sets the project default ports I'd prefer not showing any other midi device on the midi alias.
I see the point, however the project default ports and preset default ports have a different reason. They define the ports that are used in a MIDI action when you do not specify a Translator-specific MIDI port. So the Translator-specific ports will usually NOT be chosen from the preset default ports...

But I agree with the general problem -- and I have it, too. Often I have 100+ entries in the list of MIDI port/aliases :shock:
Florian