Controlllng one knob with two trigger pads

WallyPNuts

2012-04-28 20:42:48

Hello. Total MIDI Translator newbie here. I just began working with the demo version and have no idea what I am doing. What I do have, is a clear picture of what I want to happen. I want to access two trigger pads from within Midi Translator and create translations to control one knob in Ableton Live. I want to control one knob in Ableton Live using to trigger pads. How can I go about doing this? Any help would be much appreciated! :D

DvlsAdvct

2012-04-30 15:40:28

Hi WallyPNuts

What you want to do is totally possible to do. You need to use a combination of two translators and global variables.

It would look something like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Knob Up
Incoming Message: 90 00 7F
Rules: g0=g0+1
if g0==127 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing Message: B0 00 g0

Translator 2: Knob Down
Incoming Message: 90 01 7F
Rules: g0=g0-1
if g0==0 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing Message: b0 00 g0
Now this does not account for repeating (holding the button so it continues moving the knob up and down), but that's something a bit more advanced. Let's make sure this is the reaction you're going for. Also, what feature is this, because I have it set to never get above 127, but different knobs might have more features and need to go higher. The best way to figure that out is to drag the knob to the beginning (0) and use the up button until it can't go any higher. Whatever g0 equals at that point is your max value. When you do this, though, make sure to remove the if g0==127 line.

Make sense?

WallyPNuts

2012-04-30 23:37:11

Yes, that makes sense. I will try this out. Thank you very much!

WallyPNuts

2012-05-01 01:55:01

OK, I got it to work! What I had to do was delete that second rule. This allowed me to hit one pad so it turned the knob one notch in one direction, and the other pad turning the knob in the other direction other direction. Thanks again! :mrgreen:

DvlsAdvct

2012-05-01 02:14:39

No problem :)