Absolute Encoder to Relative?

mrjixies

2012-03-01 10:24:00

Hi All,

Is it possible to translate a absolute endless encoder to a relative one? Because I have a controller with endless encoders, but they send out absolute values (0-127) But as you can imagine this is pretty worthless. I like them to send out relative values. I searched the forum and found 2 similar questions but the code provided doesn't seem to work?

My first controller sends out midi data as B0 00 pp

I really could use some help with this one, so any suggestions would really be appreciated.

DvlsAdvct

2012-03-05 21:23:11

When you get to the end of the knob and keep turning it does it keep sending the 127 message or does it stop and not send anymore?

I've had this issue with the Maschine and it makes me want to end NI.

mrjixies

2012-03-06 07:52:48

Yes unfortunately they stick between 0 and 127 so they are absolute. I dont know why they made them like that, there is no option in the software to make them relative, so I was hoping to this with MT, but so far I'm not able to get it working :-(

DvlsAdvct

2012-03-06 15:21:25

There are some ways this can still be done. Are the encoders touch sensitive or push encoders?

You can set them to regular relative encoders but it won't work correctly, as I'm sure you've already seen.

Jared

mrjixies

2012-03-07 08:17:26

I'm using the Ipad with the Lemur app. It's a great piece of software but all knobs or sliders send out absolute values only. The encoders are not touch sensitive or are able to be pushed.