Solutions for mapping rotarys and sliders to keypresses

Krueger

2012-01-30 18:07:40

Hi all,

I'm just demoing this great little tool. I'm using it on both music software and DCS A10C flight sim.

Single button pushes work brilliantly in game. I've read and implemented all of the posted solutions for mapping rotary dials and sliders to key pushes, but none of them seem to be working. I'd really appreciate a bit of help on this. Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

1. Map rotary dial on Nanokontrol to a pressed and held button, let's say Numpad 5 - this will move a rotary dial up in the game, with Numpad 3 moving that same dial down again. Obviously I want this to be on the same rotary.
2. Map a slider to a keypress - when the slider reaches the top point, I want the 'J' key to be pressed. When the same slider reaches the bottom point, I'd like the 'K' key to be pressed.

I've read through the manual, and have a basic grasp on most of the concepts, but this isn't working for me yet. The rotary dials send brief messages to the rotary dials in game, but don't move it anything like enough, and I get some mixed up outputs in the log window, numpad 5 being triggered when I'm expecting 3 and VV.

Greatly appreciate any help in advance.

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-30 18:15:17

Hi Krueger

I think your rotary question is answered in this thread

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3755

If not let me know.

The slider question is easier. All you need are two incoming translators, one for J and one for K. They should look like

Code: Select all

Translator 1: J
Incoming Message: 90 00 7F
Outgoing Message: Keystroke J

Translator 2: K
Incoming Message: 90 00 00
Outgoing Message: Keystroke K
You just need a translator that only triggers when the slider is at the bottom, and another one for when it's at the top.

That make sense?

Krueger

2012-01-30 18:49:49

Wow, that was quick! Thanks :-)

Right - I'll have another look at the solution you've posted - I'm pretty sure I tried that one and got some funny behaviour, but I'll try it again and let you know

The slider implementation looks simple, so I'll do that straightaway - thanks. I may be some time with the rotary, and may come back to you if that's ok?

Cheers

Krueger

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-30 18:54:41

That's perfectly fine. The advantage of my day job is I can just sit with the forum open.

Just be sure to respond to this thread, and I'll get a notification.

Krueger

2012-01-30 19:11:00

Lovely,

So, I'm taking this slowly (thanks for your patience). I'm working on the slider first. I've mapped this to the the letter 'K'. I move the slider to the top, bingo, no problem, the valve opens (it's a refueling valve). However, when moving back to the bottom, I get a repeated '77', and the valve tires to close and open again - the log is:

IN 0.5: MIDI B0 07 77
OUT 0.5: Keystroke: K
IN 0.5: MIDI B0 07 77
OUT 0.5: Keystroke: K
IN 0.6: MIDI B0 07 00
OUT 0.6: Keystroke: K

So, what I need to do is prevent the second movement being read twice?
I hope I've explained that ok, and again thanks for your help/patience

Krueger

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-30 20:12:39

Okay.

How are your translators set up?

Krueger

2012-01-30 20:41:17

Exactly as you've laid out, except 'K' controls both up and down.

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-30 20:53:33

That is strange as it, well, just shouldn't happen.

Try putting in a translator that says

Code: Select all

Translator: Ignore
Incoming action: B0 07 pp
Rules: if pp==0 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
if pp==127 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing Action: (none)

Krueger

2012-01-31 00:59:08

Hmm, no, no joy with that.

I'm going to go play around with a few settings for a bit - get a bit more familiar with the program. Thanks for your help so far, everything's working ok, it's just these sliders, and they're not a major part of what I need to do right now.

Cheers :D

Krueger

florian

2012-01-31 10:24:04

Hi Krueger,
chiming in... could you copy/paste the translators for the sliders into the forum? (yes, just copy in Midi Translator, and paste here). Then we can see what's going on.

Thanks,
Florian

Krueger

2012-02-08 18:24:51

Florian,

Sorry, didn't mean to be ignorant, I didn't see your post. You'll have to bear with me, been unable to get to my PC - I'll respond more adequately as soon as I get 5 mins.

Thanks for your help :-)