Convert MIDI CC to Note and then send back to same device?

elpablo1

2012-01-26 01:24:25

Hello MIDI experts! I am just a MIDI noob that was wondering if it is possible to use MIDI Translator to receive MIDI CC from a MIDI Keyboard via USB and then convert to MIDI Notes to send back over the same USB back to the same MIDI Keyboard? At this point I would like to send the translated MIDI data from the MIDI Keyboard MIDI Output to another device (essentially using the MIDI Keyboard as a MIDI Through at this point) Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-26 06:05:54

Yes you should be able to do this. It would be a lot easier if the second device could be connected to your computer at the same time, though. If that's not a possibility, you'd need to set ports. There are two radio buttons on both the Incoming and Outgoing message tabs. I can't remember what the bottom one says (the top should say Default Port) but you need to select the bottom one. When you do that a little window should pop up with all of the available MIDI ports on your computer. Just go to the device you are using's drivers for both the Incoming and the Outgoing messages. That should do the trick. If you have any problems just let us know.

Jared

elpablo1

2012-01-27 06:03:06

Thanks for the info Jared! So it would be easier if I connect each device to my computer at the same time using separate USB ports? Could I use a USB to MIDI cable to send the converted MIDI message out from the computer to the other device? Thanks again!

Pablo

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-27 16:53:52

It should, in theory, work either way. I'd give the way you have it set up a shot. Just make sure you use the MIDI Thru port on your hardware (which I'm sure you are), and you have the correct port selected as the Output route in the translator. If that doesn't work then try using the USB to MIDI cable, if your other hardware doesn't have USB. OR if you have an audio interface with a MIDI out that could work too.

elpablo1

2012-01-28 22:18:51

Thanks again Jared! Just thought I'd ask since you said it would be a lot easier (being a noob I'm all about easy, ha!)

Pablo

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-28 22:57:39

It's all good man. Come by any time you have any questions. That's what we're here for.