hello! i'm new- ableton/author question

gordonstrange

2012-01-21 20:35:50

hello
I am really new to all this, and would appreciate step by step answers, so i can learn :0)

I have created a preset, to enable me to use a couple of buttons on my vestax vcm 600, to control clip view/browser view in ableton 7

ok so far.

i also have the bomes player installed on my pc, and when i try to load up my preset (in player), it tells me i need to author it.

i click the link and the page to download the authoring s/w is dead.

Can anyone advies on this?

Second question/queery:

If i try to start up bomes classic, it will 90% of the time tell me there's not enough memory, to use the vcm 600, and to delete other apps, even if bomes classic is the only one running.

after a few resets, it will usually start up.

however

when i load up ableton live 7, the buttons i have assigned in bomes, are the only thingd that work. all my preset midi commands (faders, eq's etc) don't work. the midi map tells me everything is assigned to the controller as originally programmed by me, but when i move a fader/turn a knob nothing happens (apart from the aforementioned bomes button translations i made)

if i load up ableton, WITHOUT starting bomes, everything is as normal, and the buttons assigned via bomes, do nothing.

This has really confused me. I was really chuffed to have got as far as i have, so to be this close to having it all sorted, and not bee there is dissapointing!

that being said, i'm pretty sure that someone can help me out!

thanks very much for taking the time to read, and i hope my poblems are clear.

thanks again

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-26 18:03:58

What software did you download? I'm guessing it was the classic version?

The memory issue, in my experience, comes from loading order. For example, if you load MT while something else is using the VCM-600 (awesome controller, btw) it will give you a memory error. If everything else is closed, though, you shouldn't get that error. I'll raise that with Florian.

When you load a preset in MT, by default any command NOT mapped in MT will not be sent out of MT. There is a way to set MIDI Through, so not only can you change signals but you can keep any unchanged signals as they were (faders and knobs) but I can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm at my boring day job so I can't see it right now. If you assign commands in MT and change your Ableton template those buttons will not do what you assigned them to do as MT is not open to send out those signals. Let me do some digging and I'll get you an answer on this one. :)

gordonstrange

2012-01-26 18:43:17

Awesome. Thanks very much. I really appreciate your help with this!

And yep the vcm is lovely! Took me a few controllers to find one that feels as natural as this does

DvlsAdvct

2012-01-27 17:58:47

Alright, to set up a MIDI Thru port, what you're going to do is tell MT that all data not going through your preset is going to send through the virtual MIDI port you're using to communicate with Ableton.

To do that you need to go to the File menu and select Project Properties. Find your controller's MIDI drivers and click on it. Drag a connection to the virtual MIDI port you are using to connect to Ableton. Now anything that isn't being processed by translators in your presets should send thru to Ableton. Make sense?