Midi Translator + NanoKontrol = Constant MIDI Chatter

fullenso

2011-11-24 03:31:04

I used a solution for the incredibly useless internal banks on the NanoKontrol that create CC jumping. I nearly sold the controller after I was made aware of this problem, and I've had a bitch of a time finding out how to fix it. I finally got things working to the point where I found a way to create my own banks that would respond to Ableton's takeover modes thanks to Florian's help in a few threads I read; however, a much larger problem persists: constant chatter between the IN and OUT ports in the Midi Translator, resulting in certain CCs automatically mapping themselves to random parts of the Ableton interface, eventually overloading my CPU to the program crashing. I'm trying to compile a live set right now, and I haven't even been making music, I've been f*cking with this stuff for days. I'm sorry for the swears and anger, but I'm truly frustrated by these issues.

How do I stop these CCs from constantly transmitting to and from Ableton?

Here are some pictures illustrating my problem:

Again, sorry for the anger. I hope there's an easy solution.

Thanks,
Phil

fullenso

2011-11-24 03:35:28

Good Lord. It was that easy. I want to punch my laptop in the face.

If you've had the same problem, here's the solution: Go to Ableton's Midi preferences > disable the "Remote" switch on the virtual out of Bome's MIDI translator. Problem solved. I lost sleep over this then stumbled about the solution seconds after posting about it. :x

At least my problem is solved. :)

New question, though: I'm using eight "banks" from Midi Translator, and I'm switching between them with the Rewind and Fast Forward buttons on the NanoKontrol, but I have no visual way of knowing which bank I'm on. I've tried to get the LEDs on the NanoKontrol to respond according to whichever bank I've selected, but I can't seem to figure it out. A little help?

Cheers,
-Phil

florian

2011-11-27 14:42:09

glad you could sort out the chatter problem.

Re: scene LED's, you can change the scene directly via MIDI:

Code: Select all

Translator 0: Next Scene
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI B0 pp 7F
Rules: 
  g1=g1+1
  if g1>3 then g1=0
Outgoing: MIDI f0 42 40 00 01 04 00 1F 14 g1 F7, delay:0sec
This translator will react on any button press. In the rules, it defines a variable g1 that is increased by one for every button press. Then in the outgoing section, it sends the MIDI Sys Ex command to the NanoKontrol for selecting a scene, I inserted g1 in the place where you set the scene number (0...3).

Like this, the scene LED's will change to whatever value has g1. But the scene will be changed, too, so all buttons and faders will send different controller numbers in different scenes.

Florian

fullenso

2011-11-28 21:28:30

Hey, Florian, thanks for the reply!

I'm not looking to change the scene LEDs (even though your advice was extremely helpful as I've been looking for a way to manipulate them), but I'm trying to light up the buttons on the nanoKontrol for each of the eight scenes I choose. Even better, it would be nice to incorporate my Launchpad's USER2 mode into the mix by being able to view the eight scenes on the bottom row.

For example, the bottom row of Launchpad buttons would be lit; orange for the scenes currently not selected, and green for the scene currently selected. It'd also like to be able to switch the scenes from the Launchpad as well with these lit buttons. I know this is a lot to ask, but would you happen to have any insight as to how I would go about do that? I'm using the code you wrote about storing MIDI signals in banks in Bome's Translator instead of using the internal ones provided by the manufacturer.

Thanks so much!
-Phil

florian

2011-11-29 23:39:42

Hi,

sorry I did not find a way to control the button LED's via MIDI. With my NanoKontrol they're just lighting up when pressed.

Florian

DeRoc

2011-11-30 00:34:58

Thank you for your example post! Been trying to figure how to initialize to Scene 2 for a while now.
I'm curious how you found the correct data bytes to use; I get "5F 4F" from Midi-Ox instead of your "1F 14" below, but I realize I'm only reading output data from the nanokontrol.

Code: Select all

Outgoing: MIDI f0 42 40 00 01 04 00 1F 14 g1 F7, delay:0sec
EDIT: Finally found a comprehensive midi implementation chart for the new nk2, but nothing for the nk1.
Sorry to veer somewhat OT, but I love running things from the controller with MT. :)

florian

2011-11-30 10:30:09

I found the list of MIDI commands for the NK 1 on Korg's web site.
Regards,
Florian

mocker

2012-03-01 01:05:45

Hi florian, back after a long time off. Can you post this chart, please ? There's nowhere I could find it, neither on Korg's website or anywhere. Only found the PadKontrol or nanoK 2.
I need to act on the LEDs as well. Thanks.

mocker

2012-03-05 15:46:03

No answer yet. If you have this chart, can you share it ? Thanks.

florian

2012-03-09 16:29:13

I cannot publish it, but I'll send it to you by PM.
Florian

mocker

2012-03-09 16:58:38

Thanks Florian, but I got it through someone her. BTW, no luck, the NanoKotrol can't receive anything except data dump requests, as far as I could decrypt from the chart. If you have it, can you confirm there's no way to tell it to switch on leds ? Sysex or something…