Integrating Bomes with existing MIDI commands

tascamuser

2011-10-29 13:45:26

Hi

a bit of background
I am using Presonus studio one daw. My Midi device is the excellent Tascam FW1884 (which is a control surface and audio interface combined)

Now unfortunately the Tascam is discontinued so I know that tascam won't develop a control surface template for Studio One. The cubase one that they created worked brilliantly in Cubase 5 but in Studio One there isn't a specific FW1884 preset for controlling Studio one, they only support Mackie Control Emulation and HUI emulation.
Now luckily the Tascam has both a Mackie Control emulation mode and HUI emulation mode BUT a lot of the buttons and encoders don't do anything, some of them send MIDI (as i've run a monitor whilst touching the buttons) whilst others simply haven't done anything (No MIDI at all).
At the moment the faders, pan, mute, solo and transport functions all work as intended. This is great so what I want to do now is keep the working functions and assign all the other buttons and encoders to various keyboard commands from Studio One.
After having discovered Bome I thought great i'll simply assign the remaining buttons by using Midi Translator but what i've found with it is that I would have to set the MIDI output to Bome MIDI out and not the Tascam MIDI out (which is called FW1884 control)
Because of this would I lose the currently working functions of the Tascam (faders, pans, mute etc) if i changed within Studio One the MIDI output from the Tascam to Bome?
I don't want to have to reassign everything as Bomes isn't recognising the Mackie Emulation mode
I think I may be a bit confused on the signal flow between the Tascam, Bome and Studio One.
If someone can tell me how to still use Mackie Control Mode whilst being able to get Bome to allow me to assign all the other buttons that would really help

florian

2011-11-03 21:45:00

for this kind of setup, you should use Midi Translator Pro (not the classic edition). There you can use its virtual ports to set it up like this:

Midi Translator Pro (MTPRO):
[x] MIDI IN: FW1884
[x] MIDI IN: Midi Translator Virtual 1
[x] MIDI OUT: Midi Translator Virtual 1
[x] MIDI OUT: FW1884

Now in MTPRO, open the MIDi Router and draw lines like this:
FW1884 -----> Midi Translator Virtual 1
Midi Translator Virtual 1 ------> FW1884

Now in Studio One, do NOT use the FW1884 ports, use only Bome's Virtual 1 as input and out, respectively.

From now on, all MIDI data is "flowing" through MTPRO and you should be able to use Studio One with the FW1884 as before. But you can now add Translator entries to MTPRO to filter MIDI data or to add functionality. Make sure to set the preset default MIDI ports to only react on MIDI data coming from FW1884.

Hope that helps!
Florian

tascamuser

2011-11-03 23:15:58

Hi , ive tried as per your instruction , I get nothing at all now

md_optofonik

2011-11-04 04:11:31

I wish to do the same. I have three MIDI messages that need to be translated into key commands. Using the method described both key command and MIDI message is sent when pressing the button in question. I have patched as described and chosen your virtual port in both input and output of the Remote Device drop down menu within Cubase's Devise Setup window. This does not work.

florian

2011-11-04 16:45:09

Hi,

this is a common setup for Midi Translator, it is also explained in detail in the user manual.
You can use the Event Monitor and especially the Log Window in Midi Translator to see what's happening.

In order to filter (i.e. remove) MIDI messages, see this post:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... lter#p8853

Regards,
Florian