APC40 & Traktor - SysEx Message for initial in "Dump" mode

mclub7

2011-09-11 16:09:39

Hi,

I´m just working on a MIDI mapping for my APC40 to control the Sample Decks, HotCues and some effects from Traktor Scratch Pro 2 on my MacBook. Most of the mapping especially for the buttons work fine. Also for the LEDs of the buttons.

I´ve learned that I do need to start and exit Ableton Live initially so that the APC40 is running in "Dump" mode. The manual for the "APC40 Communication Protocol" shows me that there are three modes available:
Mode 0: Generic Mode (0x40)
Mode 1: Ableton Live Mode (0x41)
Mode 2: Alternate Abelton Live Mode (0x42)
Now I wondered which mode is the "Dump" mode for using with Traktor in native midi mode?

I also read within the manual that I need to set an APC40 Sysex Message to set the right mode.

Can anybody explain to me how to set up MT for initializing the APC40 in right mode so that I do not need to start and exit Ableton Live? Or can anybody send me a Preset file for MT to do so? This would be very helpful!

Thanks a lot!

Michael

mclub7

2011-09-13 10:28:33

Hi,

I got the solution: you need to set up a MIDI message for bringing up the APC40 controller in Mode 1: Ableton Live Mode (0x41). In MT I set a message which is

F0 47 00 73 60 00 04 41 08 01 01 F7

To resolve the message I tool the "APC40 communication protocol" manual from AKAI:
F0 MIDI System exclusive message start
47 Manufacturers ID Byte
00 System Exclusive Device ID (may depend on your device but I think it´s 00 in general)
73 Product model ID
60 Message type identifier
00 Number of data bytes to follow (most significant)
04 Number of data bytes to follow (least significant)
41 Application/Configuration Identifier (40 for Generic, 41 for Ableton Live Mode, 42 for Alternate Ableton Live Mode)
08 PC application Software version major (my Version of Ableton Live is 8.1.1 at the moment)
01 PC application Software version minor (my Version of Ableton Live is 8.1.1 at the moment)
01 PC application Software bug-fix level (my Version of Ableton Live is 8.1.1 at the moment)
F7 MIDI System exclusive message terminator

You can choose in MT weather you want to send this MIDI message on startup loading the preset or taking another controller for triggering the message.

So this will help you. You won´t need to start and exit Ableton Live anymore for using the APC40 within Traktor.

Have fun!

florian

2011-09-14 21:08:43

good one! thanks for sharing.
Florian