MT Classic Question

mjc1970

2011-09-08 21:12:00

I'm stuck using the classic version with my apc 20 for now, as I don't have the cash for the pro version right now.

My question is this: The classic version only supports one midi port, so I can't use it for custom LED feedback on the apc 20.
I have it setup as follows:

Midi in to Bome's from apc 20
Midi out in Bome's to midi yoke 1
In Ableton I have the apc 20 as my control surface, midi in from midi yoke 1 and midi out to the apc 20.

All of my translators work great for things like hiding and showing the browser, navigation in clip view, etc, but no LED feedback since classic only has the one midi port available.

Does anyone know of a way around this limitation while still using classic? Maybe with midi yoke or something similiar?

I've tried a few things I found on the forum using midi ox and midi yoke, but I haven't had any luck with it.

Any help or suggestions/solutions that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

florian

2011-09-14 18:40:25

Hi,

you can run MT Classic multiple times! Use one for
APC -> MT Classic 1 -> Yoke 1 -> Live
Live -> Yoke 2 -> MT Classic 2 -> APC

To streamline this setup, go the installation folder of Midi Translator (e.g. "C:\program Files\Bome's Midi Translator"), copy "MidiTranslator.exe" and paste it into the same folder to create "MidiTranslator Copy.exe". Now rename the copy to e.g. "MidiTranslator2.exe". Create a shortcut on the desktop or so. Now running MidiTranslator2 will use its own settings.

Regards,
Florian

mjc1970

2011-09-14 19:11:52

Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a try and see if I have any luck with it.

mjc1970

2011-09-14 21:50:17

Florian,

I've tried to get it working using what you suggested, but still no luck. I was able to get the second instance of classic set up with no problem. The problem is, I can't get it to receive of send midi at all. Here's how I have Live set up with one instance of classic, and it works fine, minus being able to control LED feedback, which is why I'm trying your suggestion of a second instance. Maybe you can point me in the right direction or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

In the first instance of Bome's Classic, I have midi in set to APC20. Midi out is set to midiyoke 1.

In Live I have Control Surface set to APC20, Input set to In From MidiYoke 1, Output set to Akai APC20. I also have the Track and Remote boxes turned on for Input APC20 Input (In From MidiYoke: 1), and Output: APC20 Output (Akai APC20). This allows all my translators to work fine as well as retain the native functions of the APC.

I understand what you're suggesting with the second instance of classic and using Yoke 2 for LED feedback, I'm just not sure how to route it in the second instance of classic and also in Live.

It's probably a silly question with an easy answer, but I'm stumped. Any help or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

florian

2011-10-22 14:47:38

Hi Michael,

despite the late reply... For the second instance, configure it like that:

Live: MIDI Out Yoke 2
MT 2: MIDI In Yoke 2, MIDI Out: APC

Hope that helps!
Regards,
Florian