using the ableton setup with an fcb 1010

slatepipe

2011-09-04 20:31:20

hi

im pretty new to all this and i have been playing around with the kid beyond ableton rig tutorial and can kind of get it to work with my midi bass guitar setup

i am using midi input instead of audio and midi tracks to build up loops of different midi instruments on my midi guitar on different tracks and i am trying to switch between these tracks using an fcb 1010 foot controller

im new here and have searched a bit for some solutions but im not sure if i understand exactly how this all fits together - i think that i need to assign pedals on the fcb to emulate the keystrokes that have been set up in the ableton live rig and i have started to get this working when i set up my own translators in my own little bmtp file but i think that i need to put more translators into the existing ableton bmtp file so that i can press a pedal to start/stop recording and not just a button on the keyboard....i hope i am thinking on the right lines here?

has anyone managed to do anything similar and can anyone give me any advice?

many thanks for any help

Attigo

2011-09-06 21:09:47

Hi slatepipe.

I would recommend assigning the MIDI output from your foot-pedal to start/stop recording command in Live. Do you know how to map in Live?

The other option is, if the kid beyond setup already has this start/stop recording feature built into the preset, you could just assign your foot-pedal to the input of the translator that sends this particular message.

Let me know if that helps!

thanks,
Scott

slatepipe

2011-09-07 13:50:18

hi scott

thanks for your reply

yes, i know how to midi map with live, though i am quite interested in using the kid beyond setup with my foot controller and midi bass guitar - i guess i need to assign the fcb pedals to individual midi cc numbers (which i have had a go at) and then figure out how and where to put them in the bmtp file in place of what is there already?

any more guidance and tips much appreciated

thanks
andy

Attigo

2011-09-07 22:01:38

Hey,

I can't seem to find the actual bmtp file in the kid beyond post. If you can send me this (or a link) I will dig through the preset and tell you where you can add this...

thanks,
Scott

slatepipe

2011-09-07 23:10:17

hi scott

it's actually available as one of the presets in mtpro. you just go file-open-ableton live MGOrig 1.00

but also further down in the kid beyond thread there is a link to an updated version :

http://www.bome.com/bome/downloads/foru ... 01.01.bmtp

once again, thanks for any help. hopefully i'll get sorted out soon

andy

slatepipe

2011-09-11 16:17:20

hi again

i have managed to program the fcb so that each pedal has cc numbers, so that pedals 1 - 10 have controller numbers 22 - 31 assigned to them. i have substituted them in the bmtp file in what i assume to be the correct way but when i then attempt to use this file in conjunction with the kid beyond template the pedals dont respond as they should - some start recording on the wrong track, some dont do anything.

can someone please have a look at the bmtp file which i have attached and perhaps give me some advice as to what i am doing wrong - i feel i am quite close to getting it right but i am quite new to this and am a bit stuck :(

i am not sure but i think i have set the midi routing up wrong or set the wrong incoming message type in the translators :?

many thanks for any further advice
Attachments
foot controller preset.bmtp
fcb controller file
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

florian

2011-09-14 21:06:13

Hi,

for me it is somewhat abstract to test without a foot controller...

When you use the Log Window of Midi Translator Pro, you can see exactly what's happening and you may have better luck in finding the problem.

Otherwise, you can post the output of the log window with an explanation what you do, what you expect to happen and what happens instead.

Thanks!
Florian