no bome midi-out selectable in audio app

Busty

2011-08-09 17:34:03

I'm having the problem of not being able to choose Bome's virtual midi-out as an midi-input in ProTools. It's just not there as an option, although I checked the box "Bome's Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out" as midi output in Midi Translator Pro.

The odd thing is, that I can choose Bome's Midi Translator as an midi output, although I didn't check the box at Midi input.

Am I missing something? What do I have to do to get the output of Midi Translator Pro selectable in my Audio application?

Thanks for any advice

Attigo

2011-08-16 21:57:49

Hi Busty,

As far as I am aware, ProTools is very limited in terms of MIDI control, you should only be able to use controllers that they have hard-coded into the software... unless I am missing something? I am not an experienced ProTools user.

If I am wrong, you could try some troubleshooting:

- Make sure the MIDI port is enabled in MIDI trans (can can still select an output port even if it is not enabled)
- Try installing a second virtual MIDI port through the MIDI Translator preferences. There may have been issues when installing your first one.
- Do the MIDI ports show up in other programs?

thanks,
Scott

Busty

2011-09-14 16:34:15

Scott,

thanks for your answer, it took a while til I got the time to check it out.

Apparently you were absolutely right, it appears to be a ProTools issue. The moment I launch ProTools, the Midi Translator's event monitor doesn't recogize any input anymore. So ProTools blocks Midi Translator somehow.
It seems to work just fine in Cubase.

Problem is, I'm a ProTools guy, so this doesn't help me beyond the point of troubleshooting. I guess I just have to dig in deeper into that issue...

But thanks very much, your answer was helpful as to know where to look.

florian

2011-09-14 21:13:19

Hi,

in general, MT's MIDI ports should work fine with Pro Tools and e.g. Allen&Heath is using them for HUI emulation for Pro Tools. So something odd seems to be going on here.

Which OS (Windows/OSX) are you using? which OS version, and version of Midi Translator and Pro Tools? Do you have a preset loaded in MT?

Thanks,
Florian

Busty

2011-09-14 21:57:12

Hi Florian,

I'm using OSX 10.6.6 with ProTools 9.0.2 and Midi Translator 1.6.2 (build 372). I tried it with and without a preset, no difference there. The Midi-Interface is a Digi003. As soon as I launch ProTools, the Midi Translator's event monitor doesn't recogize any input anymore.

At another post (http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 02d4#p1019) someone with a Digi002 pointed out, that he used a second Midi-interface for input of his midi-signals as a workaround.

This behaviour of the Digi003 reminds me of the behaviour audiowise: as soon as I use the Digi003 as audio interface, no other app can use it. So maybe it's not a ProTools issue but a ProTools-Digi003 issue? ProTools trying to get exclusive access to the Digi003? Just guessing here...

Unfortunately I don't have a second Midi-Interface at hand.

florian

2011-10-22 14:54:02

Hi Busty,

it's indeed very possible that PT claims exclusive access to the digi interface(s).
Have you tried with MT 1.6.3 already? We've improved the MIDI code somewhat.

Regards,
Florian

SkinnyP

2014-01-09 22:43:34

Just to throw an update out there, I've confirmed that PT9 still doesn't list MT virtual out ports in its Peripherals Setup dialog, for HUI devices. :(

I do have a second MIDI hardware peripheral, a Pro Tools MIDI I/O. But despite being able to select one of its ports in PT's Peripherals Setup, and despite being able to route MT output into said ports, Pro Tools still wouldn't respond to the HUI commands sent. :evil:

To verify, I first programmed my midi controller (a Novation ReMOTE 25) to send the HUI command for toggling solo on the first track. When assigned the midi out of my ReMOTE, PT responded to this command being sent. However, if I instead assigned it to my MIDI I/O device, and then created an MT project which simply passed my ReMOTE's output to the MIDI I/O, Pro Tools wouldn't do anything when the command was sent (from the ReMOTE). I'm sure the data was being sent out the MIDI I/O, and I'm sure that the data MT sent to the MIDI I/O was identical to what ReMOTE was sending.

I just don't get it.

florian

2014-01-17 15:07:59

Hi, thanks for the update!

just to make sure: I am sure that Pro Tools does work with MT's, but you need to emulate a device somehow. Have you checked out how Allen&Heath is doing it? For example, in the ZED-R16's document section, you'll find Pro Tools ZIP file with description and a preset how they manage to get their mixers into Pro Tools.

Also, make sure that MT actually forwards the MIDI data. You should see the indicator "lights" in MT's event monitor, and/or corresponding MIDI lines in MT's log window.

Thanks,
Florian

SkinnyP

2014-01-18 23:39:34

Ah, success!!

Following the Allan & Heath docs, I configured, in MT, a virtual MIDI port to transmit the HUI protocol. Then in ProTools9, I enabled that port (Settings->MIDI->Input Devices), and then defined a HUI MIDI controller (Setup->Peripherals->MIDI Controllers) that received from the MT virtual port.

The A&H MT project, provided with the A&H docs, was also a great starting point for the configuration I needed. Kudos to them!

And, of course, thanks much for your patience and help Florian!
-SkinnyP

florian

2014-01-19 04:29:55

ah, great to hear! All the best,
Florian