Translating a Note-On Message based on a CC value

CJXJ220

2011-06-09 12:44:11

Hi All,

I have an electronic drum kit and recently purchased the MIDI adapter to hook it into Rock Band 3. For the hi hat, most of the songs chart as a blue cymbal, while the closed hi hat is yellow. However, the MIDI adapter recognizes the MIDI note commonly used to denote an "open" hi hat (46) as a yellow cymbal, which causes a problem when trying to play along accurately with the songs.

To get around this, I installed MT Classic to change note 46 to a note that is recognized by the game as a blue cymbal (53). It works great, but I was wondering if I upgraded to MT Pro, if I could add a rule that would only make this translation if the hi hat controller (CC#4) was above a certain threshold.

There are some songs that have a sort of half-open hi hat in sections but it stays on the yellow cymbal, and I would like to try to mirror that, but my drum module is sending note 46 so it gets translated to blue and I miss the notes.

Can anyone shed some light on how to make this work, if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

synthmusic

2011-06-10 05:26:41

CJXJ220 wrote:if I could add a rule that would only make this translation if the hi hat controller (CC#4) was above a certain threshold
Yes. You can have a translator grab control messages on CC4 and set a global variable (let's say k4) in the rules to the input value.

so input B0 04 qq

rules
k4=qq

no output

Then have the translator for the cymbal input use rules to set the note output.

input 90 46 rr

rules
if k4<= 64 (whatever threshold you like), then set qq = 53
if k4 > 64 (whatever threshold you like), then set qq = 46

and set your outbound message to
90 qq rr

Rough idea...

CJXJ220

2011-06-15 11:05:34

Great, thanks!

I've got the general idea where you're going with that, I'll play around with the trial version and see what transpires.