Denon DN-SC2000 and Ableton

Shunyo

2011-06-06 17:07:58

So I'm trying to use the denon midi controller (designed for Traktor) to control some features in Ableton.
The controller has 4 knobs to control the effects section in Traktor and I was wondering if I could use them a bit like the APC40 device control knobs.
The problem I'm having is that they are encoders (sorry if my terminology isn't correct) ie rotating to the left has one value B0 55 7E and to the right
its B0 55 00 and- if I just use the denon as a generic usb device in ableton- for some reason going down (to the left) works ok but if I rotate to the right
it jumps right up (hope this is clear enough). I wanted to use Bomes to somehow translate the encoder-like messages to a more continuous cc-like messages
in order to control effects. :mrgreen:
Would like to know if anyone has stumbled upon this type of problem or has any experience with the denon dn-sc2000?
Thanks and sorry if this topic was posted before- just couldn't really find any answers, if you could direct me to the right post would also really appreciate it!

Thanks

Attigo

2011-06-07 23:46:44

Yo can change what message type your mapping in Live receives. When in 'MIDI Mode', there is a small drop-down menu in the bottom left corner that allows you to select what you want. This is easier than switching the message type in MT, but if this doesn't work, let me know and I can show you how...

Scott

Shunyo

2011-06-08 18:02:59

Thank you very much for top tip!
ha ha it took me ages to find that little sneaky drop down menu :mrgreen: but it certainly helped- it seemed that the relative signed bit mode suits
the denon relative rotaries better than the other modes.
Just another question- at the moment the way live responds to the rotaries is quite gross- big jumps, it takes only 13 "clicks" on the denon's rotary to
move a pan (let's say) from right to left or vice versa. (I don't really get why these rotaries were used for efx assignments- it doesn't feel right to me- smooth ones
like on the apc40 would do much better!- although i guess they are there for using drop down menu's on Traktor's chained effect mode...
Is there a way to tweek that using Bome's MT? ie increase the sensitivity from 13 clicks to let's say 20.

Thanks again for your help!

Attigo

2011-06-14 21:42:54

Hey Shunyo,

Glad that helped out!

I'm not sure about upscaling your encoder message, can you show me what messages are sent from your encoder? I don't think we can do anything about this, as upscaling with an encoder will have the same big jumps but occasional clicks, nothing will be send!

thanks,
Scott