When CNTRL+X Doesn't Work - Combination Problems

bnh

2011-06-05 18:42:30

There are a number of users on a different forum trying to interface Midi Translator with a visualization software called G-Force. Everything works fine until we get to keystroke commands that are combinations, e.g. CNTL+X. (Yes, it is understood that both the Control Key and the X key are held down simultaneously to insert this command.)

Having read through the archives of your forum, if I understand correctly, using combinations such as CNTL+X or ALT+X is non-standardized in terms of interpretation on the receiving software side. However, by playing with the syntax, I can barely see some indication that I am close to figuring this out, and I wonder if you can provide some tips to try when this problem arises.

In the GForce software, CNTL+X is used to load and execute a .txt file called CNTL X.txt. Yes, there is a space between the word "CNTL" and the "X". At first I thought that was the problem, so I've been trying all kinds of variations in the listing of the file and cannot get a result with that approach.

I then tried different variations in the syntax of the Outgoing Keystroke entry in Midi Translator, from X(CNTL) to CNTL(Space)X, and nothing has worked so far.

My guess is that the use of CNTL+X combination is a fairly common form of generating a "Load and execute file" command. Can you provide any hints on what I can try to make this work.

Again, the use of single letter/number keystrokes works great, so I know the midi-keystroke operation is working smoothly. It's only when the need to use a combination keystroke that the problem arises.

I am testing this interface using the Classic version of Midi Translator, and it is my understanding that the Pro version provides a timing offset function, but I'm not sure that is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated and I'd be happy to post the results on the other forum, where this quest to find a way to control this software with midi is a common post.

Attigo

2011-06-07 23:44:39

Hi bnh,

I just experimented with the sequence strokes (ctrl(X)) and I have to problem. Did you test if this keystroke works with other apps? Maybe this is specific to the G-Force app you are using?

Scott

bnh

2011-06-08 13:03:05

Thank you for your response.

That is my conclusion also, that there is some uniqueness to the use of CNTL+X in this visualization software. Based on the intended function of this keystroke combination (load and execute file CNTL X.txt) can you suggest any tips for for figuring out this uniqueness? I've tried reversing the order X(CNT), putting a space between the CNTL (X), etc. and nothing has worked thus far.

Assuming I can contact the software developer, and ASSUMING they might reply, what precisely do I ask? Since this is a combination keystroke, I can't ask for the ASCII code.

Based on your experience, what would you ask the software developer?

The other puzzeler is that if autohotkey is placed between MidiTranslator and this visualization software, the combination keystroke works. Which begs the question, what is autohotkey doing with CNTL+X that MidiTranslator is not? I would prefer to remove autohotkey from this setup.

Thanks once again.

Attigo

2011-06-14 21:44:35

Hi bnh,

I'm really not sure why this is not working, can you point me to the software you are using?

thanks,
Scott

florian

2011-07-10 12:08:36

maybe this is also due to the "DirectInput" problem, see here:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5170#p5170

For your keystroke combination, use 4 translators:

1) Ctrl Down
2) X down

3) X Up
4) Ctrl up

Thanks,
Florian

Hannes

2012-03-05 13:21:09

Hallo and Hilfe
SHIFT + F3 or CRTL + F3 (i try to controll BPM-Studio with a Omnitronic MMC-1)
it works on a System Windows7 but it dosnt work on XP
what can i do ?
only the "shift"+ "alt"+ or "CRTL"+ Keystroke didnt work on XP
Thanx
Hannes

Hannes

2012-03-05 17:59:20

ist dieses Forum noch aktiv????????????
oder braucht man nur viel Gedult
Ich BIITE einmal um ein Lebenszeichen
D A N K E

florian