DON'T SIGN THE .bmtp FILE

Scott

2011-04-27 20:12:49

I'm happy I bought MTPro because it serves a purpose I need. However, I need lots of code for lots of different actions driven by lots of different MIDI events. And I'll need to update it frequently. It would save me a LOT of time if I could cut and paste within a single text file for all code. I would be able to do this if only BOME didn't sign the .bmtp file. Is the signature used, will it actually stop me from editing it?

What can possibly be the reason for signing this file? Why do you not want to let me take the risk of editing my .bmtp file? You are opening the door to a competitor coming into the market simply based on this alone. That competitor might end up being me(BS computer science, UCSD) because that product would ultimately take less of my time to develop than not having the ability to edit the .bmtp file, not to mention that I might be able to sell a few. So what do you think about changing the code to allow me to edit the .bmtp file?

Thanks, Scott

florian

2011-04-29 11:48:40

Hi Scott,

in a way, the warning is misleading. The signature is not used by Midi Translator, so you can just hand-edit the .bmtp file in a text editor. I do that sometimes, too. When you load it back into MT, and save it from there, a new valid signature will be created. I will change the warning!

The signature is only necessary if you want to load the .bmtp file into certain players, like Stanton DaRouter. Since DaRouter is free, we want to make sure that people have payed for the editor -- Midi Translator Pro -- to create the presets for it.

Thanks and best regards,
Florian