Some new possible features ...

dexter

2011-03-18 14:50:09

Hi there,
I'm using MT on OSX,

My suggestions:

- I'm dealing with huge scripts and I'm using an external code editor. So, it will be great to put a button in the rules section like "external editor", a possibility to define one in the prefs, and once the temp file saved, it goes in MT;
- A possibility to comment lines and blocks, with Python or C syntax : /* */ , # ;; and so ...;
- Some more verbose debugging while pasting external code;
- There is a mess with the multiple preset/rules Midi outputs, Active/selected port. Once a rule has been edited, each time I have to reselect the midi routing;
- Adding If/Then/Else statement, as addition of the current If/Then. This will greatly simplify the code and avoid using unusual Gotos;
- Adding control of the timers in the code, not only as outgoing action, and activate/deactivate rules/presets
- Syntax highlighting;
- MT no longer deletes empty lines after pasting - better for reading

Thanks

florian

2011-04-29 11:57:07

Hi Dexter,

thanks for the suggestions. We see the "Rules" as a simple way to get some logic into MT. Eventually, we will support a real scripting language. But that will take some more time...
In any case, in future, the rules section of a translator entry will be saved as text, so empty lines and comments are preserved.
Yes, an external editor makes sense, as do all other suggestions - they're already on our TODO list.

The MIDI output mess seems like a bug. I'll check that out.

Thanks,
Florian

savant

2011-11-23 07:24:48

+1 on code comments, if/then/else and timer control in rules! :) However my favorite and most desperately needed is being able to comment my rules so when I come back to them later, I can quickly tell what it was I was trying to do.

Thanks for an awesome product btw!

florian

2011-11-23 09:51:49

thanks! For now, I just insert labels into my rules and the label "name" is my comment. I know, it's ugly, but at least some way to comment.
But real comments will come!

Btw, the MIDI IN/OUT mess that dexter described was indeed a bug on OSX, it is fixed since version 1.6.2 or 1.6.3.

Florian

savant

2011-11-24 07:21:14

Yes, I thought of the label hack about 5 minutes after I posted... :lol:

I was also thinking that being able to group my presets into user defined groups (by device, by functionality, etc) and being able to filter the stop / activate / deactivate presets to that group would be a really nice feature as well. I have 2 nanoKontrols, 2 nanoPads, a Keystation Pro 88 and an Oxygen 8v2... and my list of presets is getting wildly long. I know, this setup is total overkill, but I love it and I won't give any of them up :mrgreen:

florian

2011-11-27 14:51:33

Yes, preset gropings would be a nice thing...

One way to keep things a bit more dynamic is to use 0ms timers:
For example, when you want to enable a group of presets from different actions. Then instead of creating multiple series of translators for each action, just create one translator with a one-shot 0ms timer named e.g. "Enable Oxygen". Then you only need to create one series of "Enable Preset" translators where all of them have the "Enable Oxygen" timer as incoming action. Like that, you can easily execute many things with just one outgoing action.

Florian