Ableton + Guitar Rig 4 Bank select

mslinn

2011-03-04 06:05:41

I want to select a Guitar Rig bank for an Ableton channel when I press a keystroke. I tried to assign a Midi CC to a channel header to select the Ableton channel, but that did not work. If I select the channel manually, I can use MT to open Guitar Rig from Ableton. How can I cause MT to select a Guitar Rig bank?

Thanks,
Mike

Attigo

2011-03-07 21:29:53

Which channel select feature have you mapped to? And you tried this through MIDI or with Keystrokes?

Either should work, so long as you are either MIDI mapping to the correct command, or using Keystrokes when Live is in the foreground...

Scott

mslinn

2011-03-07 22:25:22

It is not possible to control Guitar Rig's Bank selection via MIDI; if it were I would not need MT. I used the mouse via MT to open the Guitar Rig VST, but now I'm stuck.

Attigo

2011-03-07 22:32:47

Can you select Banks with Keystrokes?

Scott

lqud

2011-03-31 09:57:15

mslinn wrote:It is not possible to control Guitar Rig's Bank selection via MIDI; if it were I would not need MT. I used the mouse via MT to open the Guitar Rig VST, but now I'm stuck.
Hi mslinn,

for sure it is possible. But you don't really need MT for this. In your audio channel (1 Audio) of Ableton live you must load the Guitar Rig MFX (not FX) then add a new Midi channel and route the output of the Midi channel to the Audio Channel (1 Audio). Now create one or more midi clips in Live with one note per clip (the clip must be configured that it DOESN'T play as a loop).
The first clip maybe contains the note A1. Open GR - add a new controller, press "learn" & play the clip. The clip you can control via your computer keyboard (in Ableton press "KEY" or CMD+K).

Best Tim

P.S. I hope the Guitar Rig MFX is existing as VST on a PC. I'm using a AU plugins with Mac, and the VST on Mac doesn't contain an MFX version of GR.

mslinn

2011-04-02 05:48:41

lqud, I tried to follow your instructions but failed. My interpretation of what you said, and the questions that I raised is at the bottom of this page: http://www.mslinn.com/index.jsp?sites/m ... index.html

Mike

lqud

2011-04-02 09:44:40

mslinn wrote:lqud, I tried to follow your instructions but failed. My interpretation of what you said, and the questions that I raised is at the bottom of this page: http://www.mslinn.com/index.jsp?sites/m ... index.html

Mike
Mmmhh - that's strange - maybe the CC messages & live??? Try it with a keyboard sending Midi Notes instead of CC's - but also check your mails I've send you a Live Set (that works on my system) & a PDF.

Best regards Tim

mslinn

2011-04-02 17:37:53

Tim,

Thanks for following up off-list. Your instructions show how to select specific presets using the currently selected bank, if one is selected. As you can see from the web page that I put together, I got that working before I posted to this list. I wanted something different: the ability to select a Guitar Rig bank from Ableton Live. Can you help with that? Native Instruments technical support for North America says it is not possible - but there might be a way somehow despite what they say.

Mike

lqud

2011-04-02 18:59:14

Hi Mike,

NI Support #*$)(!??? .... ;-) as I see it's possible, but for sure with some restrictions. I think you mean Tags instead of Banks, right? If not you can handle the Tags like banks.

So, it must be possible this way:
Follow my description above (use the existing Live project I've send to you).

for example:
• go to the GR browser create 2 Tags, one named "FX01" the 2nd "FX02"
• in each case drag two or more existing sounds, from other Tags, into FX01 and FX02
• GR4: goto -> "options" -> "controller" - and on the first controller (controlled by "Live clip1" of my LiveProject) then choose "menu" -> "tag selection" -> "jump to" -> "FX01" and on the second controller you'll choose the same way an "FX02" on the end.
• Now you must be able to switch between your two Tags (or call it banks)
• the third & forth controller you can configure as "Preset selection" -> "previous / next"

the restriction is that you must lock your controllers. You can't select the sounds in your selected Tags directly. You have to use the previous / next function to switch between the presets (maybe there is a way to map all tagged sounds. But it's quite complicated and I don't really understand how GR4 handles the midi implementation - but what I know is that it's not really logically... for me ... )

Hope this helped ... a little

Tim

mslinn

2011-04-02 19:39:49

I did mean banks. Don't know much about tags... will look into them tonight.

Thanks,

Mike

mslinn

2011-06-21 06:05:59

Sorry, tags are a dead end. Unless this can be done by emulating keypresses and mouse clicks, this looks like failure. Too bad Ableton and Native Instruments are not interested in putting out products that interact well. This has been a known problem for years.