Mapping Events To Midi Ports

RSullivan

2011-03-02 19:32:25

I have read the documentation but am still really confused! Sorry.

I have a Midi hardware device that needs to receive Channel Message (Note On's) along with System Exclusive Messages.
The Midi Hardware Device also will 'send' System Exclusive Messages.

The Software I am using is Sonar 8.5 along with a VST that supplies the System Exclusive interface to the hardware device.
My problem is that Sonar does not handle System Exclusive Messages in a straight forward fashion, and in fact will not even allow the
VST to 'send' a System Exclusive Message (through Sonar as the VST host). The VST works fine on other VST-Hosts, DAWS.

From the PC's view I have a MIDI In (Messages from the device) and a MIDI Out (Messages to the device).

In order for the VST to 'send' a system exclusive message and also at the same time have channel messages (note on's)
from Sonar I think I need something that will provide me with 2 'MIDI Out' ports that are sitting in front of the single MIDI Out hardware port. Say I name them MIDI-Out-1 and MIDI-Out-2. All of the midi messages (channel messages) sent from Sonar would be directed to MIDI-Out1, all of the System Exclusive Messages from the VST would be directed at MIDI-Out-2. MIDI-Out-1 and MIDI-Out-2 would be 'merged' and sent out the hardware port (MIDI-Out).

Can MT Do This? Will There Be Latency Issues?

The reverse is also required.

In order for the VST to 'receive' a system exclusive message from the device and also at the same time have channel messages (note on's) received by Sonar I think I need something that will provice me with 2 'MIDI In' ports that are sitting in front of the single MIDI In hardware port. Say I name them MIDI-In-1 and MIDI-In-2. All of the midi messages (channel messages) sent from from the device (On the hardware port Midi-In) would be directed to MIDI-In-1 (Which Sonar is hanging off of), all of the System Exclusive Messages from the Device would be directed at MIDI-In-2 (Which the VST is aware of).

Can MT Do This?

To clarify the VST I am talking about was written by myself and has been modified to split it's incomming and outgoing MIDI messages
between the VST-Host (for Channel Messages) And another WinMM MIDI port fro System Exclusive Messages. The Question is not about 'How do I get a VST to do this'. The Question is can MT do what I require?

Thanks

Attigo

2011-03-07 21:26:52

Hi RSullivan,

Yes, MT can do this very well! You just need to enable more virtual MIDI ports, this can be done in the MIDI settings. I think you can create up to 8 INs and OUTs...

After this, you can assign certain ports to send/receive to whichever hardware or software you are using, via 'aliases'.

thanks,
Scott