Controller keeps showing up as new device in Bomes

kirk498

2011-02-26 15:42:44

I have a very basic setup and just recently started using Bomes with Ableton. My main use for Bomes at this point is to convert the messages sent from the RFX midibuddy (program changes) to emulate keystrokes for use in Ableton. I've got my midibuddy running through an M-Audio Fast Track Pro midi-in port. This just allows me to fire my samples and loops using my feet while I'm playing bass or keys. I'd love to dive into some of the more elaborate uses of this software, but I keep getting hung up with my basic setup. Heck I haven't even been able to figure out how to setup the scrolling feature for Ableton with the Bomes software at this point :-( (starting to feel like an old fart who can't use this new-fangled technology.)

My problem is that every time (and it's not every time, but rather sometimes which makes this that much more confusing) I reboot or restart my laptop the Fast Track Pro shows up as a new device in Bomes. For instance the midi ports section of Bomes originally showed Fast Track Pro Midi In and Fast Track Pro Midi Out and I did my programming around that. Now at some other point when I kicked everything on I had Fast Track Pro Midi In and 2-Fast Track Pro Midi In showing up in my midi-ports list. I made some tweaks to my translations to get it to work and everything was fine until yesterday when I turned on my laptop and then saw 3-Fast Track Pro Midi In and 2-Fast Track Pro Midi In and Fast Track Pro Midi In along with their corresponding out-ports in the midi ports section of Bomes. I went ahead and deleted Fast Track Pro Midi In and 2-Fast Track Pro Midi In from my list just to clean things up. Can anybody tell me why that's happening like that? It throws off the translations I've created and Bomes doesn't even seem to see the input from the midibuddy. Would this issue be resolved if I ran the midibuddy directly into one of the laptop's USB ports versus and In-port on the Fast Track Pro soundcard? (I'm running out of USB slots so using the soundcard in-port helped a lot.)

I went ahead last night and tweaked my translations to work off the "default port" instead of "specific ports" thinking I might be able to workaround this issue. However, I just fired up the laptop this morning and when I tried to open Bomes I get a ERROR: Wrong string format pop-up. Any idea what that's related to?

I'd like to just start over with what I've got so there's a nice clean interface, but I'm afraid of wasting the time to create these translations only to have Bomes not recognize my midibuddy the next time I restart the laptop. Any help or assistance you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for taking the time to review my post.

I'm attaching a screenshot which might make some of what I said more clear...

My setup:
RFX Midibuddy
Bomes MTPro
Ableton 8.03
Windows Vista (home prem)
Mem 4Gb
Attachments
Bomes_scrnsht.JPG
Bomes_scrnsht.JPG (234.5 KiB) Viewed 3246 times

DeRoc

2011-02-26 19:20:50

kirk498 wrote:...tried to open Bomes I get a ERROR: Wrong string format pop-up. Any idea what that's related to?
I've had the same problem with Korg nanoKontrol and nanoKey drivers.
Deleting the wrong reference to a midi port has caused the dreaded (unrecoverable) error above - I now make a copy of the preset EVERY TIME I change some settings because I've been burnt before.

@Florian: is there any way to recover the .bmtp file after this error?

Similar thread http://bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2793 from last year.
MT v1.7.0
WinXP sp3.

kirk498

2011-02-26 19:54:27

This morning I figured that error was unrecoverable so I did an uninstall/reboot/reinstall and that sort of got me back to a clean slate. The entries are still showing up the same in the port list, but at least it's maintained the same name, 3-MidI Fast Track Pro. I went ahead and reprogrammed about 20 translations and they seem to be working. I haven't yet had this rig out in a gig and I'm concerned about a new issue popping up when I do. Bome is a key component to my playing in our current band arrangement.

I checked out the other thread and the theory on this occurring with a usb disconnect/reconnect could be the cause here. Unfortunately I can't get a complete removal of Bome to give me the true day one setup again. I haven't searched the forum on that topic so I will have to check that out.