1.7.1 Full (WinXP) fails CRC check on startup

magog

2011-01-19 18:59:48

I just purchased 1.7.1. When launching the program I get the following dialog box:

Fatal Error:
- CRC Check failed. Please reinstall this program.
- The Program will exit now.

Clicking on OK closes the program.

The Trial version runs fine

florian

2011-02-21 17:11:20

We've exchanged some private emails about this without any conclusion yet. It is the first time that such a problem surfaces; the CRC check is in use for many years.

The CRC check is a safety measure built into MT to prevent accidental or malicious modifications of the program.

One problem we've identified is that the user is using Windows XP, Service Pack 2. Midi Translator is only certified for XP Service Pack 3. Though I doubt that this is the root cause.

My best guess is that there is a worm or virus that injects itself into the MT process and modifies it. This is even more likely as XP Service Pack 2 is VERY vulnerable for viruses and other parasites.

Hopefully we'll have some more info when the user can update to SP3 or do some extended virus scans.

Regards,
Florian

mfactory

2012-02-15 16:31:29

Hello,

I have the same issue on Win7 x64 with the full version of 1.7.1 pro. And 1.7.2 beta as well.
But no issue with the trial versions...
I have tested installation and application launch with Antivirus Offline, run as admin, compatibility mode, ... still the CRC issue.
Quite anoying :-(
What should I do to get this issue fixed ?

Thank you.

florian

2012-02-16 10:40:11

Hi mfactory,

sorry for this annoying problem.

I'm reasonably sure that this is not a malfunctioning of Midi Translator, but of "something" on your computer. There are thousands of MT users on Windows 7 (including me) so it's not a problem with the OS or MT per se.

With the other user, it turned out that it is an Antivirus program (Bit Defender) that injects itself into the running instance of Midi Translator and modifies its running memory. We at Bome Software strongly believe that no program, not even Antivirus programs, should do that. We've alerted the manufacturer without any response. Which antivirus program do you use?

If it's not the Antivirus (you may need to completely uninstall it...), chances are that your computer is infected by a virus or trojan.

In any case, we do everything possible for our customers to get MT running. If your problems persist, PM me and we'll figure something out.

Regards,
Florian

mfactory

2012-02-19 05:40:26

Hi,
After having completly unsinstalled Bitdefender antivirus, the CRC issue has disapeared.
Problem solved ! :-)
Thank you for the support.

florian

2012-03-09 15:59:30

thanks, good to hear!
I've contacted Bitdefender again.
Florian

randallpatrickc

2013-08-20 23:08:37

I'm encountering the same problem on XP. I have Norton AntiVirus which I've just turned off to try again.

florian

2013-08-22 11:29:13

randallpatrickc just reported by PM that uninstalling Norton Antivirus fixed the CRC problem for him, too. So it seems that his version of Norton uses the same bad technique that Bit Defender uses.

Currently, we at Bome Software can only recommend to not install Bit Defender or Norton Antivirus. For the technical background, see my post above.

For free basic antivirus protection, we at Bome Software use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Regards,
Florian

randallpatrickc

2013-08-22 12:44:34

I run MT on other machines with Vista and Win 7 64 both running Norton's AV with no problems.
I will do as Florian suggests and try the MS Essentials on my little XP system.
Thanks again for this excellent program.
Keep up the good work Florian

randallpatrickc

2013-08-22 22:01:55

No CRC check on XP now with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Great service!
Happy Bunny here :-)