Will Midi Translator do this?

Mick Emery

2011-01-12 20:02:51

Right now, I'm using MT to control Ableton Live.
Ableton is host for my softsynths & also controls audio volume for my hardware synth. Patches are changed with a Ground Control foot pedal, hence the need for MT.
To free up CPU, I'm looking at MOTU's Ultralight interface (with CueMix) to control volume on my hardware synth patches.

The fellow that is setting up my rig, wasn't sure if MT could send the proper info to the MOTU.
The cue mix software with Motu uses the Mackie HUI protocol to control the Ultralite. So Bomes would need to output the proper message that the Ultralite will recognize to adjust the proper fader. I don't know for sure if Bomes can do this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

Mick Emery

2011-01-21 06:53:02

I wanted to bump because of all the spam!

Mick Emery

2011-01-21 14:32:26

more spam...

Attigo

2011-01-23 20:24:58

MT can send any MIDI messages and can be triggered or controlled my any other MIDI message. I have done some HUI emulation work before, and I found this document useful to uncover the HUI's messages...

http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm

I hope this helps...

Scott

Mick Emery

2011-01-25 16:06:22

Just got this response from MOTU...
The parameters within CueMix can not be controlled via simple MIDI messages. The basic mix can be controlled from any device that supports Mackie
HUI or Mackie Universal Control protocol.

I look forward to answering all your technical questions.
If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Dave Roberts - MOTU
Does this count MT out entirely?

Attigo

2011-01-25 20:19:13

I really don't understand this, it contradicts it's self. It says you can't control it with MIDI, but you can with HUI. The HUI protocol is MIDI, just a cleverly constructed standard. You can see the MIDI messages HUI sends/receives in the link I sent above.

Scott

Mick Emery

2011-01-25 20:37:16

Hi Scott,
I sent your link to my tech guy. This was his reply...
See this link. It is not just single messages. If it was, everyone would use it. The resolution of a single note is too low. In the below link the guy breaks out what a mackie hui outputs.
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ie+hui#p98
Brian
Since I know NOTHING about this stuuf, I'm just the message carrier.
I would hope there is a way around all of this.

Mick

Attigo

2011-01-25 20:56:20

All I can tell you now is that MT can emulate these multiple messages, those posts are from 2005!

I have personally reverse-engineered a Mackie HUI, and wrote it all up again in Midi Translator. I did this for Stanton and their SCS.1m controller for the official Ableton Preset. I managed to replicate nearly every feature - buttons, faders, pots, secondary functions and even the text to the screens.

If you go into more detail with what exactly it is you need, I may be able to help you more...

Scott

Mick Emery

2011-01-25 21:18:36

Thank you Scott. I appreciate the time you've taken for me.
I forward your replies to Brian, the tech guy.

I should have him join the forum since he knows what I need!

Attigo

2011-01-25 21:42:46

No problem...

Scott

Mick Emery

2011-01-25 22:24:55

Brian's reply:
It's nice to know it works. If he has the entire HUI decoded maybe he could either post it upon request or provide a sheet that allows you to cross reference the commands.
Is that possible Scott?

Thanks again,
Mick

Attigo

2011-01-25 23:06:19

Hi Mick,

Like I said, I did this for Stanton, under a contract, this is information I am not entitled to share, but I can share some of my sources with you...

High Quality Picture for Reference:
http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/q ... 18e609.jpg

Message List from before (Outputs are the same messages as the Inputs)
http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm

An Apple document that gives close detail on integrating it with Logic, same protocol though (page 239 onwards is helpful)
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Con ... upport.pdf

These are some of the public documents I found and that made this a little easier!

I hope this helps...

Scott

freqabeat

2011-05-11 21:35:30

hey just a question, and please let me know if this is possible. I was wondering if I could use bome with Behringer BCR2000 so i could control Plug-ins. I would really like to set each bank of 4 as its own channel for the plugins and not just the whole box controls one channel at a time. Is this possible?

P.S.

just to add, I want to be able to do this in Pro Tools (just in case it makes a difference)

freqabeat

2011-05-13 00:48:42

Or how about this, can I get the HUI Sysex code and use it with the bcr2000?

Attigo

2011-05-13 00:59:02

Sure, those details should all be in the manual for the product. Let me know if you can't find them...

Scott

freqabeat

2011-05-13 06:18:08

But would that allow me to control plugins? And would that be done easier via a tool to send HUI sysex or using midi translator to convert to hui messages? I don't need the fader movements since I already have the bcf2000 for the faders. I just want a hands-on way to access plugins without always having to use my mouse.

freqabeat

2011-05-13 21:59:22

Lets make this simple. Is there a way to make my BCR2000 think that it's a Novation Nocturn or a Frontier Design Group's AlphaTrack using either MT or SX?

Attigo

2011-05-28 21:30:34

if you know the messages that those controllers send and receive, then yes. You would need to figure these messages out from a manual or whatever, then you can just select the novation or any other control as your 'device' in Live.

Scott

freqabeat

2011-06-02 03:46:44

but i'm using pro tools 9

Attigo

2011-06-02 11:44:40

Ok, I believe there is a 'handshake' message that Pro Tools needs and I do not know this. It is quite tricky to get an unsupported controller working in PT.

Scott

the19thbear

2014-06-16 12:14:13

Just subscribig here so i can find the thread again:)